Subject: On site design issues

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:34:48 +0400

Greetings.

While this is true that the major rewrite of the site's PHP code is 
underway, this does not mean that redesign should wait until this 
rewrite is finished.

In current 'portal' (next-generation postgresql.org) the HTML is 
separated from PHP code, so if someone comes up with a brand-new design, 
it can be applied in a matter of very little time.

Once again: if you are waiting for the rewrite to finish before starting 
redesign, don't wait.

---

From: "Gavin M. Roy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:31:07 -0700

I'd be happy to offer a new design for the site, are there any points 
beyond the obvious (colors, content) that people would have me consider 
before submitting a design draft?

Gavin

Alexey Borzov wrote:

> separated from PHP code, so if someone comes up with a brand-new 
> design, it can be applied in a matter of very little time.
>
> Once again: if you are waiting for the rewrite to finish before 
> starting redesign, don't wait.
>
>
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to [email-masked]

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Apr 2004 18:01:16 -0400

We plan to move some of the content from techdocs into the site, and
potentially fold all of the information from advocacy into the site,
same with developers... so just keep that in mind when your doing
redesign... I've done this type of thing before and have thoughts on how
to go forward, hopefully I can be more active on this time willing...

Robert Treat

On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 13:31, Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
> 
>                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html

-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:31:39 -0700

Robert,

> to go forward, hopefully I can be more active on this time willing...

I think ideally that all of the non-obsolete techdocs content should get 
folded into the "User's Lounge" as one cohesive area.

-- 
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:52:57 +0400

Hi!

> before submitting a design draft?

Can you give some links to the sites you made designs for?

---

From: "Gavin M. Roy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:49:05 -0700

A little background, I've been doing sites for over 10 years, had a 
fairly large web development company, have done sites for companies like 
MGM, Amgen, and California Pizza Kitchen, and numerous sports 
celebrities.  This list of sites is fairly current (Sites done in the 
last two years).  Note that I no longer do sites professionally (that is 
as my job).  These are all community sites, or sites done as a favor for 
friends.

PgSQL Related:

http://test.pgfound.org
http://pgsql.gavinroy.com
http://pgfoundry.org/ - Revampted color scheme, designed the logo (which 
still doesnt look right, i need to do another draft of it), made the 
glossy elephant.

Others:

http://www.gamesurge.net
http://www.oceanminded.com
http://www.pathetic.org
http://www.ehpg.net
http://www.justsportsusa.com
http://www.justsportsusa.com/apparel/
http://www.swgfanatic.com
http://www.figurethisradio.com/

You'll have to pardon some of the designs they were directed by the site 
owners...

And a few more "glassy" logo designs:

http://www.framewerk.org/Graphics/framewerk.gif
http://www.gamesurge.net/Graphics/Banners/logoGlassyWhite.png

Gavin

Alexey Borzov wrote:

>> beyond the obvious (colors, content) that people would have me 
>> consider before submitting a design draft?
>
>
> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:22:59 +0400

Hi!

> as my job).  These are all community sites, or sites done as a favor for 

Wow! Impressive!

I won't give you any advice on how to do design, as obviously you know a lot 
more about this than me. :]

I only have some obvious usability suggestions:
1) Make search box available on every page
2) Make website mirror selection available on every page
3) Make in-site navigation distinct from links to other sites, make navigation 
more prominent