Subject: time to move to the new code

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 01:06:51 -0400

I think it is time to move to the new code for www. The biggest argument 
against the idea was the desire some folks had to implement a new design 
along with the new code.  Well, the design doesn't get done and the code gets 
more out of synch as maintainance on the live site rolls on, so I think we 
need to bite the bullet and move to the new code. Once it is in place we 
should be able to make deisng changes much easier anyway, after all that is 
part of the point of the new code.  Are there any open items that would 
prevent us from making the switch?

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Better Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: "Gavin M. Roy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:11:29 -0700

I'm willing to jam a new design out if we can get a common consensus on 
design desires.  The basic thing I got from the last round is that 
people dont want anything different.  Maybe it makes sense to prepare a 
new site, design and all, and launch it with 8.0 when it comes out of beta?

Gavin

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 01:18:24 -0400

"Gavin M. Roy" <[email-masked]> writes:
> Maybe it makes sense to prepare a 

That seems like about the worst possible timing :-(.  You want to shake
out any problems while we are not under the spotlight.

I'd go for installing the site update any time between now and
impending-8.0-release.  Per recent discussion, that gives y'all
at least a month or two wiggle room ...

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Justin Clift <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:58:15 +1000

> new site, design and all, and launch it with 8.0 when it comes out of beta?

Well, how about we put the new code on the site now, and then you've got 
some time until the 8.0 release to get a new design running and working 
efficiently?  (Kind of works in with what Tom said too)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:50:23 -0300 (ADT)

> prevent us from making the switch?

I *believe* that the new code was developed/designed on the current VM ... 
is that correct?  Or are there any modules that need to be installed 
before it can go live?

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:39:13 +0400

Hi,

Robert Treat wrote:
> Well, the design doesn't get done and the code gets 
> more out of synch as maintainance on the live site rolls on, 

One has to wonder why people doing maintenance do not update the new version as 
well...

> so I think we 

The new site is online, as you know: http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org

I'd be very grateful if someone went over it and wrote down all the open items 
and differences to the current site.

The code was ready ~ 2 months ago, and I was asking for the input back then: 
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2004-06/msg00088.php

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:58:48 -0300 (ADT)

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Alexey Borzov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Robert Treat wrote:
>> Well, the design doesn't get done and the code gets more out of synch as 
>> maintainance on the live site rolls on, 
>
> One has to wonder why people doing maintenance do not update the new version 
> as well...

Time?

> I'd be very grateful if someone went over it and wrote down all the open 
> items and differences to the current site.

The only thing that looks off is the right vertical menu is wider then the 
left, and seems to throw things off a bit visually ... other then that, my 
standard beef about it expanding to the full width of my browser :)

----

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:07:01 -0400 (EDT)

> standard beef about it expanding to the full width of my browser :)

I vote we install whatever we have and then we can look at adjustments. 
I am concerned if we wait for it to be perfect it will never get
installed.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:21:20 -0300 (ADT)

> I am concerned if we wait for it to be perfect it will never get

No arguments from here on that ...

----

---

From: Justin Clift <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 01:35:20 +1000

> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
<snip>
> No arguments from here on that ...

Sounds like a decent plan.  :)

+ Justin

> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [email-masked])