Subject: Anything "time" critical on www.postgresql.org VM?

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:30:10 -0300 (ADT)

I'd like to setup hot failover for that VM, so that if the server it is 
running on goes down, it will auto-come back up on a second server.  So 
far, the finest I can get the replication granularity is 15 minutes, so 
there is the potential of 15 minutes worth of 'data' to be lost on a crash 
...

As I believe that most (if not all?) of the stuff on that VM is pretty 
static as far as files, and there is no email over there, I can't think of 
any reason *not* to do this for that VM ... but, I wanted to check here to 
see if anyone knows of a reason that the potential lose of '15 minutes' 
worth of data is a bad thing?

If not, I'll get that setup ...

I don't believe that any of the other VMs can have this setup yet, until I 
can get the 'gap' reduced between replicas, since they are all dealing 
with CVS in some form or another, or email ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Justin Clift <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:48:46 +1000

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> there is the potential of 15 minutes worth of 'data' to be lost on a 
> crash ...

Hi Marc,

What kind of replication is being used?

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:44:45 -0300 (ADT)

> What kind of replication is being used?

rsync right now, unless you know of something better that works under 
FreeBSD?  I'd love to find something more 'real time', but haven't been 
able to find anything that could be run on an existing server ...

----

---

From: Justin Clift <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:06:11 +1000

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Justin Clift wrote:
<snip>
> able to find anything that could be run on an existing server ...

Oh well, it sounds like it'll have to do.

They use rsync here too for file based syncronisation.  It get's bitched 
and moaned about, but "does the job".

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift