Subject: Re: Anything "time" critical on www.postgresql.org VM?

From: "John Hansen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:28:13 +1000

> rsync right now, unless you know of something better that works under 
> FreeBSD?  I'd love to find something more 'real time', but haven't 
> been able to find anything that could be run on an existing server ...

Doesn't FreeBSD have support for OpenAFS and/or CODA?

... John

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:16:10 -0300 (ADT)

> Doesn't FreeBSD have support for OpenAFS and/or CODA?

k, I looked at Coda, and liked the concept ... but, it looks like 
something that, to implement, I'll have to setup before I put anything on 
the server, I can easily move a server to it ... and, from everything I 
read, I'm not 100% certain that it would even do what I wanted ... each 
time I thought I found the answer, reading a bit further seemed to negate 
it :(

The thing is, its really simple ... two servers, each with a large file 
system (/vm) ... on that file system are subdirectories by company_id and 
then domain under that ... a domain is active only on one server, so the 
only thing being written to /vm/id/domain would be on one server, but 
/vm/otherid/domain (or even /vm/id/otherdomain) ... so I want changes to 
/vm/id/domain from ServerA 'replicated' to ServerB, and /vm/id/otherdomain 
from ServerB to ServerA (which is what I'm doing with rsync) ...

I had looked at unison also, but it looked to have similar 'lag' 
restrictions as rsync does, and some limitations as to the kinds of files 
it could send back and forth ...

Using rsync, and some mods that Andrea (oicu) helped me with to 
parrallelize it, I've been able to get granularity down to 5 minutes 
instead of 15, at least based on 4 VMs right now taking ~150 seconds total 
to keep in sync ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Justin Clift <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 01:51:39 +1000

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
<snip>
> instead of 15, at least based on 4 VMs right now taking ~150 seconds 
> total to keep in sync ...

Hmmm... I wonder if it'd be possible to use that PG backed filesystem 
someone created a while ago, then use PG replication (Slony, etc) to 
just replicate that?

:)

(Ok, prob not feasible, but it's an interesting thought)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:10:09 -0300 (ADT)

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Justin Clift wrote:

> Hmmm... I wonder if it'd be possible to use that PG backed filesystem someone 
> created a while ago, then use PG replication (Slony, etc) to just replicate 
> that?

I'd thought about that, but for the kind of loads I put onto it, I don't 
know it would stand up ... it would definitely make failover alot easier, 
similar to doing NFS ...

----