Subject: Testing new website code

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 13:23:37 +0300

Hi,

Those who do not believe that there is something wrong with the box 
running wwwdevel, can now check for themselves.

At http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/files/ there is the folowing: 
tarball of portal directory from pgweb CVS module, some changed files 
from there with profiling calls added (this needs Benchmark PEAR module, 
watch the results on alexey.beta) and dump of "www" database used by 
website. I am not sure whether it is a good idea to publish "gborg" 
database, since it contains password hashes.

Setup instructions are in the README file available in portal tarball.

I've setup a mirror myself:
http://oc.cs.msu.su/portal/

Please note that the server running this mirror is a P2-233 with 192MB 
RAM and a very slow and noisy IDE harddisk. It runs both Apache *and* 
PostgreSQL and doesn't have PHP bytecode cache installed.

All this said, it generates the index page in ~0.4 second, while 
alexey.beta does this in ~1 second (look at the profiling info at the 
bottom of the pages).

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:53:22 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Alexey Borzov
> Sent: 04 November 2004 10:24
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [pgsql-www] Testing new website code
> 
> Hi,
> 
> Those who do not believe that there is something wrong with 
> the box running wwwdevel, can now check for themselves.

You're missing the point - it's not that we don't believe something is
wrong, it's the box is not loaded enough to see the performance we've
been getting. What we're trying to do is figure what is actually wrong
whether at the OS, PHP, DB, Pear or portal code level. As you will have
seen from other posts, a couple of changes have already made significant
differences - your testing on another box indicates that there is
probably not a problem at the Pear or portal levels, thus we should
probably be looking at the OS/PHP/DB some more.

Regardsm, Dave.