Subject: Gborg down?

From: Jerry LeVan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 21:33:23 -0500

I don't seem to be able to connect to gborg.postgresql.org this
evening...

Jerry

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 23:52:54 -0400 (AST)

> I don't seem to be able to connect to gborg.postgresql.org this

Already working on it ... I found an undocumented 'feature' in FreeBSD 
today while doing some cleanups ... we ordered a terminal server to allow 
us to do remote admin on the servers, but, unfortunately, we're still 
waiting for it to arrive, so we're waiting for a tech to reset the server 
...

I've posted details to the FreeBSD -stable and -current mailing list, but 
the simple summary is that 'ifconfig <dev> -alias' with no ip specific'd 
literally erases all IPs on that device, leaving the server running 
'un-networked' ... :(

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 20:04:38 -0800

> I don't seem to be able to connect to gborg.postgresql.org this
Hello,

I can second this. Gborg is down.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Jerry
>
>
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

-- 
Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC
Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
+1-503-667-4564 - [email-masked] - http://www.commandprompt.com
PostgreSQL Replicator -- production quality replication for PostgreSQL

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 20:16:57 -0800

>
> I've posted details to the FreeBSD -stable and -current mailing list, 
> but the simple summary is that 'ifconfig <dev> -alias' with no ip 
> specific'd literally erases all IPs on that device, leaving the server 
> running 'un-networked' ... :(
>
Good lord.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 00:27:36 -0400 (AST)

>> literally erases all IPs on that device, leaving the server running 

Ya well, its not something I'm particularly proud about ...

Stupid question for someone running Linux ... is this standard behaviour 
that I've been lucky never to hit before, or is this something that Linux 
deals with slightly more intelligently?

----

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 20:36:31 -0800

> Stupid question for someone running Linux ... is this standard 
> behaviour that I've been lucky never to hit before, or is this 
> something that Linux deals with slightly more intelligently?

Well in linux you would do something like this:

ifconfig <dev>

If you want an alias it is:

ifconfig <dev>:<alias>

If you don't specify a parameter such as up it will just display the 
current config.
If there is no current config it just display the default.

So in short, no Linux will not do what you ran into. At least not in the 
same manner.

On any init.d based Linux system (gentoo, redhat, suse) the only thing I 
have found
really annoying is that it doesn't confirm for the following:

/etc/init.d/network stop

I have more than once, really late at night typed that command when 
meaning to be

/etc/init.d/sendmail stop

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 11:14:33 +0300

Hi,

> I can second this. Gborg is down.

Me be third, me be third!

::Meditating::
Omm... Our hosting is good... Our hosting is very reliable...

---

From: Gaetano Mendola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 09:44:37 +0100

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
 >>> specific'd literally erases all IPs on that device, leaving the
 >>> server running 'un-networked' ... :(
 >>>
 >> Good lord.
 >
 >
 > that I've been lucky never to hit before, or is this something that
 > Linux deals with slightly more intelligently?

I used to have a script on my remote server that I was running in BG before
to touch the network, that script was bringing up the network if was down
for more then 2 minutes. My server is now hosted in my house and I do not
need it anymore, I changed it with the no-ip script :-)

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 11:09:07 -0400 (AST)

> need it anymore, I changed it with the no-ip script :-)

Until now, I didn't think I'd need such a think :(  In almost 12 years of 
networking, that is one thing that I've never done, unconfigured the main 
IP ;(

Then again, I think I've been lucky so far in that I've never done an 'rm 
-rf /' either :)

----

---

From: Alvaro Herrera Munoz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 12:27:15 -0300

> networking, that is one thing that I've never done, unconfigured the main 

Yeah, I think part of the problem was that it was an accident and not
something planned.  I have had to change the main IP address of a remote
server a couple of times, so I used a script like Gaetano's (though I
measured time in terms of seconds, usually less than ten, not minutes).
But you weren't given the chance :-)

> Then again, I think I've been lucky so far in that I've never done an 'rm 

Very lucky indeed.  I did that (or equivalents like rm -fr /lib) at least
two times.

Unrelated: I just noticed that you added the mboxen to lists archives.
Many many thanks for that!

-- 
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[@]dcc.uchile.cl>)
"La realidad se compone de muchos sueños, todos ellos diferentes,
pero en cierto aspecto, parecidos..." (Yo, hablando de sueños eróticos)