Subject: Re: Launching PostgreSQL KB Project Mark 2

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 21:58:50 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: "Josh Berkus"<[email-masked]>
Sent: 02/12/05 21:36:51
To: "Robert Treat"<[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]"<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Launching PostgreSQL KB Project Mark 2

> Gee, and you wondered why I thought we need a seperate mailing list?  This 
> sort of response is *exactly* why.

Trying desparately not to say "I told you so" I very much doubt you have got this response had you raised this here in the first place and not later when persuaded to do so. 

Now, perhaps we can put the rocky start to one side and get on with building a knowledgebase?

Regards, Dave

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
Robert,

> This is a joke. If you invite all the people on this list to join that
> list, you haven't actually prevented the "fragile corporate types" from
> interacting with the "grotty techno-luddites" which claim to be so
> important.

Gee, and you wondered why I thought we need a seperate mailing list?  This 
sort of response is *exactly* why.

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
       choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
       match

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Dec 2005 17:08:34 -0500

> Now, perhaps we can put the rocky start to one side and get on with building a knowledgebase?

Apparently not on this list we can't...

Robert Treat
-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: "Gevik babakhani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 23:16:30 +0100

> building a knowledgebase?

Oh please, I have been reading the discussion till now and I just cannot
follow anymore, I think we should settle this on a game of soccer in July
when we gather for the conference. 

But for now let us use our valuable resources to continue building/defining
the knowledgebase.

---

From: "Gavin M. Roy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 14:29:47 -0800

I mentioned this to Josh off-list but I am concerned about  
introducing yet another technology platform (.net) for PgSQL based  
sites.  Trying to track down an issue with borg the other day where  
something was exploited web software wise, (and seeing how much  
"stuff" was on the vm) I would say we should be concerned with  
consolidating, not expanding technology dependencies.  I know svr2 is  
getting cleaned up, but this is more of a philosophy thing.  Can  
Alexy's framework that runs the main pgsql site work for techdocs/ 
knowledge base?  If not what's wrong with it?  Framewerk is nearly  
mature enough to be used, but I won't have the time for the next 2  
months or more to head up or be a primary programmer on something  
like this.  I can however offer help and support on the project if  
Framewerk is going to be used.  If you're interested in knowing where  
things are at and what's outstanding for evaluation: http:// 
svn.framewerk.org/trac.cgi/wiki/Issues - I am proposing this because  
unlike moving to .net we already use PHP pretty much everywhere else  
(other than the existing techdocs).  I would also offer that unifying  
the technology used for all the official pgsql sites would be a very  
nice thing.

Regards,

Gavin

On Dec 2, 2005, at 2:08 PM, Robert Treat wrote:

>> Trying desparately not to say "I told you so" I very much doubt  
>> you have got this response had you raised this here in the first  
>> place and not later when persuaded to do so.
>>
> TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>
>                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Gavin M. Roy
800 Pound Gorilla
[email-masked]

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 15:28:45 -0800

Folks,

While we discuss on the *other list* the business requirements for a 
Postgres KB, it would be really helpful to get together on *this* list a 
document giving the requirements for projects to be incorporated into the 
PostgreSQL.org web infrastructure.  Such a document would be very helpful, 
as well, to others wanting to add things to the web site.

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 01:21:49 -0400 (AST)

> Apparently not on this list we can't...

One thing to note ... there is nothing stopping this list from developing 
and implementing a knowledge base as was originally discussed ... there is 
no reason why the "corporate project" that Josh is pulling together has to 
be the "Official Project KB" ...

Not saying it shouldn't be, or should ... just that if everyone on this 
list is so against it, there is nothing stopping this list from developing 
one that is developed by the community, instead of corporate sponsors ...

Basically, if Josh et al wish to develop a KB outside of the community, 
there is nothing stopping the community from developing their own within 
it *shrug*

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 21:23:50 -0800

Marc,

> there is nothing stopping the community from developing their own within 

IN WHAT WAY is pgFoundry "outside the community"?

--Josh

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 17:11:37 -0800

>
> Basically, if Josh et al wish to develop a KB outside of the 
> community, there is nothing stopping the community from developing 
> their own within it *shrug*
>
Although I agree with the spirit of the post from Marc, I would like to 
note that the current KB project IS A COMMUNITY project.

Joshua D. Drake

> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings