Subject: IE fixes CSS broken on website?

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 21:44:53 +0100

Omar, Emily, or someone else familiar with the CSS for the website...

I've noticed second-level menus in the left pane are completely broken
in IE (at least in IE6) if their name is long - the second line gets
written on top of the first one, making it completely unreadable.

Ive noticed two rows in iefixes.css that are related to this, because if
I take them out completely, it looks fine again in IE6. However, I'm a
bit relucant to do this without actually understanding it. What are
these lines supposed to fix in the first place? Is ripping them out the
righ tthing to do, or will that break other things?

The lines are:

- /*Win IE fix \*/
- * html #pgSideNav ul ul { margin-top: 5px; font-size: 0.95em;
margin-bottom: -5px; }
- * html #pgSideNav ul ul li { line-height: 10%; }
-
- /*End Win IE fix*/

(the second one is the one that makes the text go on top of itself, but
the first one has some effect too)

//Magnus

---

From: Emily Boyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 02:13:52 +1100

Magnus,

> I've noticed second-level menus in the left pane are completely 
> broken in IE (at least in IE6) if their name is long - the second 
> line gets written on top of the first one, making it completely 
> unreadable.

Do you have a screenshot/example of where this is happening? I can't
find where this occurs (using IE6 on Win XP).

> Ive noticed two rows in iefixes.css that are related to this, because
>  if I take them out completely, it looks fine again in IE6. However,
>  I'm a bit relucant to do this without actually understanding it.
> What are these lines supposed to fix in the first place? Is ripping
> them out the righ tthing to do, or will that break other things?

I don't remember why those lines are there, but I'm sure there's a good
reason :)

I'll see if I can figure out what they're doing and if they're safe to
change/remove to fix the overlapping text issue you've described.

Emily