Subject: Need license clarification on some web graphics

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 10:50:29 -0500

I've recieved a submission of some postgresql related web graphics that I was 
planning to add to the graphics repository.  While I was uploading them the 
thought hit me that we might have a problem with some of these. First two 
examples of ones that are ok:

http://xzilla.postgresql.org/layout/images/2_160x600.gif
http://xzilla.postgresql.org/layout/images/14_160x600.gif

both very nice and wonderful, but I am wondering about this one:

http://xzilla.postgresql.org/layout/images/15_160x600.gif

It uses the "photo elephant" which I not sure what the license status is. The 
relevant link in the archives seems to be 
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2004-12/msg00290.php
but it is less than definitive since we would not be using these images on the 
postgresql website per say, they would be out in the wild (though under a cc 
license).  I have about a dozen more of these using the "photo elephant" so 
before I put them up, can I get an ok from someone?

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 22:06:32 -0500

On Saturday 11 February 2006 10:50, Robert Treat wrote:
> I've recieved a submission of some postgresql related web graphics that I
> was planning to add to the graphics repository.  While I was uploading them
> the thought hit me that we might have a problem with some of these. First
> two examples of ones that are ok:
>
> It uses the "photo elephant" which I not sure what the license status is.
> The relevant link in the archives seems to be
> but it is less than definitive since we would not be using these images on
> the postgresql website per say, they would be out in the wild (though under
> a cc license).  I have about a dozen more of these using the "photo
> elephant" so before I put them up, can I get an ok from someone?

So I guess given no response in 48 hours, I should assume that these photos 
are legally poisoned?  In that case can we get a new elephant photo that we 
can use on the website and in web buttons? Joshua, you mentioned something 
way back when about making a replacement pic, how about now?

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:40:21 -0800

> way back when about making a replacement pic, how about now?
Are you speaking to this Joshua?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

-- 
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support
Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/

---

From: Emily Boyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:51:32 +1100

> before I put them up, can I get an ok from someone?

 From http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2004-12/msg00283.php

"The elephant in the announcement box on the front page is a licensed
derivative work of a royalty free image, and Emily Boyd grants the
PostgreSQL Global Development Group the right to use said image on the
postgresql.org website."

"Use by PostgreSQL International sites is possible, but a right to use
must be granted by Emily Boyd for each licensee, as per the terms of the
original license on the image."

I can permit the use of the elephant in specific images (so that it can
be used on PostgreSQL International sites or in advertising), and there
is absolutely no problem with this. However, the elephant can't be
relicensed under a CC license (due to the terms of the original license
on the image).

Regards,
Emily

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:14:57 -0800

Robert,

> way back when about making a replacement pic, how about now?

I think Bruce has some pictures of Elephants.  Bruce?

-- 
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 00:25:26 -0500 (EST)

> I think Bruce has some pictures of Elephants.  Bruce?

Uh, what kind of picture do you need?

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:35:32 -0800

> Uh, what kind of picture do you need?
If we really need a real elephant... I can go to the zoo ;) Otherwise we
can easily mock up an art based elephant.

Joshua D. Drake