Subject: geckofixes.css harmful on linux

From: Tuukka Tolvanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 02:41:55 +0200

Hello,

http://www.postgresql.org//layout/css/blue/geckofixes.css included from 
http://www.postgresql.org/layout/js/geckostyle.js included from e.g. 
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/datatype.html , says

     /* Gecko is broken with pre,tt,code sizes */

and then proceeds to break pre,tt,code sizes for me on Gecko (firefox, 
linux). That is, the fixed width text in documentation is 
disproportionately large unless the rules specified in that file are 
dropped (the editcss extension is practical for testing fwiw).

Konqueror calls itself "like Gecko" in its useragent so it's also hurt 
by geckofixes.css. Also, safari calls itself "like Gecko" iirc, but I 
don't have one to test with.

I tested on win98 and had someone test on winxp that geckofixes.css does 
appear to do the right thing on windows. I suggest sniffing for windows 
OS in geckostyle.js so that geckofixes.css is only applied to gecko on 
windows, where it's needed.

't.

---

From: Tommy Gildseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:59:04 +0100

> dropped (the editcss extension is practical for testing fwiw).

It doesn't seem to have the same effect in my browser (Firefox 1.0.4 on 
Debian). It looks just fine, but if I use editcss to remove the style 
rules included from geckofixes.css, the text becomes *really* tiny.
Also tested in konqueror, and it looks fine there as well.

-- 
Tommy
http://design.twobarks.com/

---

From: Tuukka Tolvanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 04:28:54 +0200

>> http://www.postgresql.org//layout/css/blue/geckofixes.css included 
>> from http://www.postgresql.org/layout/js/geckostyle.js included from 
>> e.g. http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/datatype.html , says

> Also tested in konqueror, and it looks fine there as well.

Hm, that's too bad. Guess it's a matter of default monospace fonts 
having wildly different x-heights, then. Yeeeah, courier new does look 
tiny, about 3/4 the height of bitstream vera sans mono, and I guess 
those two are the common ones :(

comparison, with a few liveCDs so personal settings don't come into play:
- win98: fine in firefox & explorer
- knoppix: grossly oversized in konqueror, signifigantly in firefox
- ubuntu: badly oversized in konqueror, reasonable in firefox

*sigh*, *shrug*

't.