Subject: Re: [email-masked]

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:12:12 +0200

> Folks,
> 
> Well, thepostgresqlfoundation.com (run by Greg) server just 
> died.   We 
> could spend some time recreating it, but it doesn't seem worthwhile.

Does the foundation exist at all? ;-) Or should we just let it die
quietly? I got the impression it was the second?

> What do people think would make more sense ... a [email-masked] 
> e-mail list, or a pgfoundry project?   I'm leaning towards pgfoundry 
> project, myself ...

I'd say @postgresql.org, just to disagree with your. Or rather, because
it shuold be clearly shown that it's a part of the core project and not
some addon - I assume this is for ppl who want to ask question about
whom to give all their money etc?

//Magnus

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:38:06 -0800

Magnus,

> Does the foundation exist at all? ;-) 

No, we now have a fund at Software in the Public Interest.  This removes 
from us the burden of running an NPO, something we just didn't have the 
resources to do.

> whom to give all their money etc?

<grin> It's a little more complex than that.

What we need is a coordination area for the Fundraising Group.  The FG 
will control the funds at Software in The Public Interest, and their 
German affiliate, FFIV.  However, there are PostgreSQL NPOs in France 
and Japan whose relationship to the FG is not yet defined.

Oh, and before the clamor starts, there will be a membership shuffle in 
the FG and new people will be invited to join to make it more 
representative of PostgreSQL.org as a whole.  Right now, we're in the 
process of drafting a charter ... at least, we were when the mailing 
list went down.

So, we currently need one list for the FG.  However, when we speak of 
raising money for PostgreSQL in general, that needs to encompass JPUG 
and PostgreSQL.Fr, and possibly other organizations in the future.  So 
it'll probably be two lists, one for the FG related to the SPI funds and 
one for the main coordinating body for money issues which might consist 
of representatives from each of the organizations.

Therefore ... I'm leaning towards the pgfoundry project for the FG, at 
least until we get organized.

Complicated enough for you?   It's so PostgreSQL!

--Josh Berkus