Subject: Re: Sun Server Location

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 11:00:21 +0200

> Folks,
> 
> Sun is donating a T2000 to the PostgreSQL project for 
> performance/Solaris 
> compatibility testing.   I can think of two reasonable places 
> to host it 
> right now: GigAve (Sean Chittenden) or OSL.  Gavin Roy is 
> willing to host it (in principle) but is short rackspace at 
> the moment.
> 
> Since OSL is already hosting Sun servers for Apache and Debian, I'm 
> inclined to send it there.   Any objections?
> 
> Too bad I need this for testing ... it would make a kick-ass 
> mail/web server.  16 cores, 32GB RAM.

If it's not an "infrastructure server" (web/mail/etc) it doesn't really
matter where it is hosted, IMHO - as long as there are on-site techs to
help you if things go bad. (If it's web etc, we need to look at getting
good distribution etc) So no objectinos from me. 
It could actually be a point not to "over-stress" the places where we
can expect further offers for hosting servers that are more critical.
>From that perspective, OSL seems a very good choice.

(Hey, I can host it here if I get to play with it for personal stuff
instaed of pg stuff :-P)

//Magnus

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 09:59:27 -0700

All,

> help you if things go bad.

OSL has a staff.  Mostly Corey, but he's on site and taking care of the 
servers is his job.

> (If it's web etc, we need to look at getting 

Well, given the lack of real objections, I'm going to check with Robert Lor to 
see if there's any advantage in us having physical access to the machine.  If 
not, to OSL it goes.

FWIW, this server will "belong" to SPI, since we need a legal entity to own 
it.

> (Hey, I can host it here if I get to play with it for personal stuff

<grin> Ship it to Skandanavia?   I don't think so ...

-- 
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco