Subject: gBorg status?

From: Chris Browne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:33:36 -0400

What's up there?  It has been down all week.

We're trying to get the Slony-I 1.2 release out, so we can then
migrate over to pgFoundry.  But that doesn't working terribly well
when gBorg's down...
-- 
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/emacs.html
"...Yet terrible as Unix addiction  is, there are worse fates. If Unix
is the heroin of operating systems, then VMS is barbiturate addiction,
the Mac is MDMA, and MS-DOS is sniffing glue. (Windows is filling your
sinuses  with  lucite and  letting  it set.)   You  owe  the Oracle  a
twelve-step program."  --The Usenet Oracle

---

From: elein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 08:03:27 -0700

Also people trying to download slony have to do some
hunting to find things.  The source only tar is not
available on pgfoundry.

one of them,

elein

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 10:33:36AM -0400, Chris Browne wrote:
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
>

---

From: Chris Browne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:53:36 -0400

> hunting to find things.  The source only tar is not

The source tarball for version 1.1.5 is now in place:
  <http://pgfoundry.org/frs/download.php/1063/slony1-1.1.5.tar.bz2>

We may as well have at least that bit of backup.

I didn't bother putting up the documentation tarball; it is better to
grab a newer version of the docs.
-- 
"cbbrowne","@","ntlug.org"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/slony.html
You can lead a horse to water, but if you can get him to swim on his
back, you've got something.

---

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 19:44:00 +0200

> Also people trying to download slony have to do some hunting 
> to find things.  The source only tar is not available on pgfoundry.

All gborg *downloads* are available on:
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/projects/gborg/

Seems Slony hasn't released files using the gborg file release system,
perhaps? Because for some reason Slony stuff isn't there. But I figured
it'd be a good idea t oget that pointer in for people looking for
anything else off gborg that didn't know we mirrored those.

//Magnus

---

From: Chris Browne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:28:23 -0400

> anything else off gborg that didn't know we mirrored those.

In the past, binaries got hosted on Jan Wieck's "downloads area" which
probably lives somewhere nearby there.  Apparently it wasn't terribly
convenient to add/drop files from the gBorg downloads area.

For 1.2, I have been putting release candidate files over at
pgFoundry, which is certainly still accessible.
-- 
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "ntlug.org")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/finances.html
"Recursion is the root of computation since it trades description for time."
-- Alan J. Perlis

---

From: "Jim C. Nasby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 17:41:55 -0500

> migrate over to pgFoundry.  But that doesn't working terribly well

Speaking of which, what's the status of the migration tools? Is that
ball still in Larry's court?
-- 
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   [email-masked]
512.569.9461 (cell)                         http://jim.nasby.net

---

From: "Larry Rosenman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 17:51:37 -0500

No, since my time is up in the air at the moment, I've bowed out for now.

Once I get settled at Surgient, I might take it up again, but not right now.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jim C. Nasby
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2006 5:42 PM
To: Chris Browne
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] gBorg status?

> migrate over to pgFoundry.  But that doesn't working terribly well 

Speaking of which, what's the status of the migration tools? Is that ball
still in Larry's court?

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 16:51:09 -0700

> ball still in Larry's court?

Moving to www where it belongs

Please see the thread cutting the gborg throat.

-- 

    === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
    Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
              http://www.commandprompt.com/

---

From: Christopher Browne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 22:42:45 -0400

> ball still in Larry's court?

Which migration tools?  Were there migration tools specific to
gBorg->pgFoundry?  Or something else?
-- 
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="linuxfinances.info" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/internet.html
REALITY is an illusion that stays put.

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 20:39:39 -0700

> gBorg->pgFoundry?  Or something else?

There was, kind of, sort of. AFAIK they are dead and gone and the 
current method of thought on Gborg is here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-08/msg01167.php
--

---

From: Christopher Browne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 22:55:03 -0400

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-08/msg01167.php

That seems fine to me.

We already had a plan set up for Slony-I that was not too dissimilar.

To wit...
 - There already is a project set up at pgFoundry, and fairly much 
   all committers at gBorg are members of the project at pgFoundry
 - Downloads are being handled from pgFoundry
 - We figured we'd migrate outstanding bugs to pgFoundry by hand
 - We figured we'd migrate copies of old mailing list archives
 - We figured we'd announce the deaths of old lists, and suggest
   subscribing to the new ones
 - We figured there would be some ability to copy CVS over fairly
   losslessly

The *big* steps are moving email and CVS.

I really haven't yet heard a peep yet that hasn't been third-hand
about the gBorg outage, after it has been out for over a week now.  To
say that's displeasing is something of an understatement.  It
certainly leaves me in no mood to want to keep any services I care to
actually have running hosted on gBorg.

The fact that it has been out for a week, without any public comment
being made, certainly gives me pause.  I *HOPE* that we can still
recover CVS and email.

Question about email: Do we need to migrate the old mailing list
archives before setting up new lists on pgFoundry?  Or could I set up
a "slony1-discuss" at pgFoundry, fairly immediately, and migrate in
old archives later?  [Possibly helpful factor:  It's now September,
and the last gBorg traffic was dated in August, so we may not need to
mix months...]
-- 
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "gmail.com")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/x.html
Who  needs fault-tolerant  computers when  there's obviously  an ample
market of fault-tolerant users?

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 20:01:16 -0700

> The *big* steps are moving email and CVS.

*big* but quite easy :) As long as we have an mbox file from the slony 
lists, we can import easily into pgfoundry.

CVS is just an rsync ;)

Joshua D. Drake

--

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 08:40:24 +0100

> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of 
> Christopher Browne
> Sent: 04 September 2006 03:55
> To: [email-masked]

My understanding is that Gborg is being recovered from backup as I type.
I also understand that the delay was not caused by lack of backups or
anything similarly scary, but simply by other priorities.

Regards, Dave.

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 22:14:38 -0300 (ADT)

> anything similarly scary, but simply by other priorities.

Yes, I have the backup uploaded right now, and doing 'recover procedures' 
as I type this ... it will be up before I go to bed tonight ...

As for the 'other priorities' ... the delay was due to an insufficient 
Internet connection to upload the backup ... we were waiting for our 
Internet to be installed in our new location, and were using an 
underpowered temporary connection in the interim ... that one was going to 
tie up the connection for >40 hours ... once we were able to get the 
backup server onto its 'permanent connection', the upload took ~5hrs ...

As I mentioned, am working on it right now ... will post a follow up once 
she's back up live and needing to be tested ... she's also moving to one 
of our 64bit servers, so should be a wee bit better performance wise ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email . [email-masked]                              MSN . [email-masked]
Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 13:20:18 -0300 (ADT)

everything should be back up and running ... vServer is now running on our 
newest, 64bit HP server with FreeBSD 6.x ...

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>> My understanding is that Gborg is being recovered from backup as I type. I 
>> also understand that the delay was not caused by lack of backups or 
> Yes, I have the backup uploaded right now, and doing 'recover procedures' as 
> I type this ... it will be up before I go to bed tonight ...
>
> Internet connection to upload the backup ... we were waiting for our Internet 
> to be installed in our new location, and were using an underpowered temporary 
> connection in the interim ... that one was going to tie up the connection for 
>> 40 hours ... once we were able to get the backup server onto its 'permanent 
> connection', the upload took ~5hrs ...
>
> she's back up live and needing to be tested ... she's also moving to one of 
> our 64bit servers, so should be a wee bit better performance wise ...
>
> ----
> TIP 4: Have you searched our list archives?
>
>              http://archives.postgresql.org
>

----