Subject: pgsql-announce not being delivered?

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 14:24:48 -0800

All,

I just took a brief survey on IRC and found that 70% of the people there 
didn't get the release announcement.  I didn't get it, nor PWN either.  
For that matter, I haven't gotten anything on -announce since December.

It could be spam filtering issues, but if so they're quite widespread; it 
seems that most of our community is not getting most of the -announce 
posts.   Any idea how to diagnose this?

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 17:37:23 -0500

> For that matter, I haven't gotten anything on -announce since December.

FWIW, it took almost 2 hours to come through to me --- see attached
headers.  The delay seems entirely the fault of the postgresql.org to
mx1.hub.org hop.  Dunno if that helps diagnose anything.

			regards, tom lane

------- Forwarded Message

Delivery-Date: Mon Feb  5 14:27:33 2007
From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Organization: PostgreSQL Project
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL security update available now
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 09:32:44 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

------- End of Forwarded Message

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 22:45:44 -0400

I've been working on this this evening, and am talking to Michael (majordmo 
developer) about it ...

I *think* I've narrowed down the problem, and implemented improvements for it, 
but am waiting to hear back from Michael as to whether there are some sort of 
'stats' that record # of recipients actually sent to ...

But, I am in the process of diagnosing it ...

Just curious, but "haven't gotten anything since December", and you are just 
mentioning it now ... ?

Can you resend the announce you sent this morning ... ?  I hate to have it sent 
out twice, but its important enough, and I believe that I've corrected the 
major problem causing the failed delivery, and would rather not have to wait 
until the next announce goes out ...

> posts.   Any idea how to diagnose this?

- ----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email . [email-masked]                              MSN . [email-masked]
Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 19:06:06 -0800

Marc,

> Can you resend the announce you sent this morning ... ?  I hate to have it
> sent out twice, but its important enough, and I believe that I've corrected
> the major problem causing the failed delivery, and would rather not have to
> wait until the next announce goes out ...

Well, that worked, but it somehow also "unstuck" the previous message.  So a 
lot of people are about to get 2 copies of the release, and I'm about to get 
a lot of annoyed e-mail.  Oh, well, at least it's working now.

Possibly related: previously I was getting the false "duplicate posting" 
messages.  I'm not getting them now.

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 22:11:37 -0500

Josh Berkus <[email-masked]> writes:
> Well, that worked, but it somehow also "unstuck" the previous message.

A bunch of other recent pgsql-announce messages seem to have come
"unstuck" too ...

			regards, tom lane

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 23:35:18 -0400

> messages.  I'm not getting them now.

Ya, any 'duplicate postings' get held by moderator ... that 'unstuck' one was 
me, figuring that it would be faster to pass that one through ... thought I had 
sent you a 'found a copy' message fast enough to avoid you resending :(  sorry 
about that ...

- ----

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 23:36:07 -0400

> A bunch of other recent pgsql-announce messages seem to have come

There were three that I approved:

Announce from Josh
PWN
Announce about ht://Dig + PostgreSQL 8.2.2 ...

- ----

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 08:40:04 +0000

> A bunch of other recent pgsql-announce messages seem to have come

I got a whole heap of other messages from days gone by on various lists.
I wonder if Marc just found the missing posts problem people have
reported on and off for a while.

Regards, Dave.

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 09:52:16 +0100

> mx1.hub.org hop.  Dunno if that helps diagnose anything.

This is not uncommon at all - it happens all the time. Not just for
-announce, happens for all the lists. Has been reported many times
before.

//Magnus

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 07:16:12 -0800

> -announce, happens for all the lists. Has been reported many times

It has also been complained about on multiple occassions by many
different people.

Joshua D. Drake

> 
> //Magnus
> 
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend
> 

-- 

      === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
PostgreSQL Replication: http://www.commandprompt.com/products/