Subject: update to main page for feature freeze

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:48:03 -0800

Index: index.html
===================================================================
RCS file: /usr/local/cvsroot/pgweb/portal/template/index.html,v
retrieving revision 1.87
diff -c -r1.87 index.html
*** index.html  18 Feb 2007 19:14:16 -0000      1.87
--- index.html  27 Feb 2007 00:47:02 -0000
***************
*** 6,18 ****
              <div id="pgFrontFeature">
                <div id="pgFrontFeatureContent">
                  <h1 id="txtFrontFeatureHeading">
!                   func_lang("PostgreSQL 8.2 Released")
                  </h1>
                  <p>
!                   func_lang("The PostgreSQL Global Development Group
is proud to announce the release of PostgreSQL 8.2, the world's most
advanced open source database. View the <a
href=\"/docs/current/static/release-8-2.html\">release notes</a> for
more information.")
                  </p>
                  <div id="txtFrontFeatureLink">
!                   <img src="/layout/images/blt_blu_arrow.png"
width="6" height="5" alt="" /><a href="/ftp" title="Download PostgreSQL
8.2.3">func_lang("Download PostgreSQL 8.2.3")</a><br />
                  </div>
                </div>
              </div>
--- 6,18 ----
              <div id="pgFrontFeature">
                <div id="pgFrontFeatureContent">
                  <h1 id="txtFrontFeatureHeading">
!                   func_lang("Feature Freeze for 8.3 almost here!")
                  </h1>
                  <p>
!                   func_lang("The PostgreSQL Global Development Group
is close to Feature Freeze for their 8.3 release. Read the <a
href=\"/docs/faqs.FAQ_DEV.html\">developer FAQ</a> for more information
on how to contribute. You can also view our <a
href=\"http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Todo:WishlistFor83\">Developer
Wiki</a> for more information on the exciting upcoming release.")
                  </p>
                  <div id="txtFrontFeatureLink">
!                   <img src="/layout/images/blt_blu_arrow.png"
width="6" height="5" alt="" /><a href="/ftp" title="Download PostgreSQL
8.2.3">func_lang("Download Stable PostgreSQL 8.2.3")</a><br />
                  </div>
                </div>
              </div>

-- 

      === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
PostgreSQL Replication: http://www.commandprompt.com/products/

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 12:13:17 -0500

On Monday 26 February 2007 19:48, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> href=\"http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Todo:WishlistFor83\">Devel
>oper Wiki</a> for more information on the exciting upcoming release.")
>                   </p>

I don't feel this change is neccessary.  People who are developing patches 
probably have a good idea when feature freeze is, and we have more than 
enough patches to deal with right now. For regular users, pointers to 
download is one of the top items they need, so emphsizing our recent releases 
is still a good idea. 
-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:26:51 -0800

> download is one of the top items they need, so emphsizing our recent releases 

This is all about letting the community know what is going on with us.
Especially the community that isn't here everyday in the lists. The only
reason I even included the links was because I know people who aren't on
the lists but would love to know what is going on with PostgreSQL.

Our website doesn't say *anything* about what is going on with
PostgreSQL the project (says alot about secondary stuff like training etc..)

A website is two things, an information source and a marketing source.

Joshua D. Drake

--

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:55:46 -0800

All,

> the lists but would love to know what is going on with PostgreSQL.

"Current Development Status: Orange"

Oh, wait, that's the wrong sort of alert.  ;-)

Seriously, what I would suggest is that we put timeline information 
on /developer/roadmap, which is the correct place for it:

March 31, 2007		Feature Freeze
May-June 2007		Beta begins
August-October 2007	8.3 Released
March 31, 2008  Feature freeze for 8.4 (tentative)

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:00:22 -0800

> "Current Development Status: Orange"

Rock ON! That would be funny. Let's do it. (and I am only half kidding).

> Oh, wait, that's the wrong sort of alert.  ;-)

It isn't about alerting, it is about informing. Which is a bit different.

> March 31, 2008  Feature freeze for 8.4 (tentative)

Actually combined with the change to the front page that says feature
freeze is almost upon us, I could live with this.

Joshua D. Drake

--

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:06:11 +0000

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Rock ON! 

OMG - in an instant my mental picture of you just changed to Justin Lee
Collins. That can't be good <shudder>

:-)

/D

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 17:35:54 -0500 (EST)

> March 31, 2008  Feature freeze for 8.4 (tentative)

It would be good if you matched the information in the developer's FAQ:

        <P>The development schedule for the 8.3 release is:</P>
        <DL>
        <DD>March 1, 2007</DD>
        <DT>Initial community review of all major feature patches</DT>
        <DD>April 1, 2007</DD>
        <DT>Feature freeze, all patches must be submitted for review and application</DT>
        <DD>mid-May, 2007</DD>
        <DT>All patches applied, beta testing begins</DT>
        <DD>July, 2007</DD>
        <DT>Release of 8.3.0</DT>
        </DL>

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>          http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                               http://www.enterprisedb.com

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:44:03 -0800

> It would be good if you matched the information in the developer's FAQ:

I didn't even know it was there. I will be happy to adjust.

Joshua D. Drake

--

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 17:44:56 -0500 (EST)

> I didn't even know it was there. I will be happy to adjust.

Well, the fact you didn't know it was there indicates there is a
problem.  Hopefully having it on the web site will fix that.

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:51:40 -0800

> problem.  Hopefully having it on the web site will fix that.

Well I may or may not be an exception but I can say that I would never
have thought to look in the FAQ for that info. It is entirely possible
that, I wouldn't think of that because of the rather up to my ears I am
in all of this every day. I would prefer to hear what others think about
whether or not the FAQ is a place to hold it.

Although! In the FAQ it would probably make more sense to have 1.19)
What is the timeline for the next major PostgreSQL release?

Point to /developer/roadmap :)

Joshua D. Drake

--

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 14:12:21 +0100

> problem.  Hopefully having it on the web site will fix that.

Now that it is ont he website, may I humbly suggest that it is removed
from the developer FAQ (possibly replaced with a reference to the
website) so we don't risk ending up with two locations saying different
things?

//Magnus

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 13:04:58 -0500 (EST)

> website) so we don't risk ending up with two locations saying different

Removed from developer's FAQ.  I never liked it there anyway because it
is time-specific information, but because it seemed harder to add to the
web site, I put in there until the web site was updated.