Subject: Who is remus, and why is he beating up on pgfoundry.org?

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 04:00:05 -0300

pgfoundry# wc -l /var/www/pgfoundry.org/www/access_log
   14204 /var/www/pgfoundry.org/www/access_log
pgfoundry# grep 217.196.146.202 /var/www/pgfoundry.org/www/access_log | wc -l
    6495

And all the hits appear to be identical:

217.196.146.202 - - [23/May/2007:06:57:16 +0000] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 403 302 "-" 
"curl/7.16.0 (amd64-portbld-freebsd6.2) libcurl/7.16.0 OpenSSL/0.9.7e 
zlib/1.2.3"

I put in a 'Deny from' yesterday, but that hasn't made any difference ...

- ----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email . [email-masked]                              MSN . [email-masked]
Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

---

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 09:13:31 +0200

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> 
> 

that is the smokeping latency tracking installation for checking latency 
  and response times on a number of projects hosts - it does both ICMP 
and http connection checking for pgfoundry.
I can disable it if you want or reduce the latency if you want but I 
would rather not - especially since I don't think that doing 0.75 very 
simple requests/s is actually "beating".

Stefan

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 08:25:32 -0300

Disable it, please and thank you ...

- --On Wednesday, May 23, 2007 09:13:31 +0200 Stefan Kaltenbrunner 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>> 217.196.146.202 - - [23/May/2007:06:57:16 +0000] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 403 302
>> "-"  "curl/7.16.0 (amd64-portbld-freebsd6.2) libcurl/7.16.0 OpenSSL/0.9.7e
>> zlib/1.2.3"
>>
> and response times on a number of projects hosts - it does both ICMP and http
> connection checking for pgfoundry.
> I can disable it if you want or reduce the latency if you want but I would
> rather not - especially since I don't think that doing 0.75 very simple
> requests/s is actually "beating".
>
>
> Stefan
>
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
>        choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
>        match

- ----

---

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 13:58:50 +0200

> Disable it, please and thank you ...

done

Stefan

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 17:48:31 +0200

Why? That's valuable monitoring data that we're no longer getting...

Really, can't the system handle 0.75 extremely simple hits / second? If
so, ISTM that we have a *much* larger problem than I thought we did.

//Magnus

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> --On Wednesday, May 23, 2007 09:13:31 +0200 Stefan Kaltenbrunner 
> ----

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 08:50:31 -0700

>> Disable it, please and thank you ...

I am concerned about the ability of the pgfoundry machine to be able to 
continue hosting pgfoundry if such as simple thing as a latency monitor 
is causing issues.

Joshua D. Drake

> TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
> 
>               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
> 

-- 

       === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
PostgreSQL Replication: http://www.commandprompt.com/products/

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 21:15:01 +0100

> continue hosting pgfoundry if such as simple thing as a latency monitor

Seconded.

Regards, Dave.

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 09:09:11 -0700

>> continue hosting pgfoundry if such as simple thing as a latency monitor

Well as always, we are willing to host. Secondly we are also willing to 
host FreeBSD as we have more than one person comfortable with it now.

In theory this would be as simple as moving the VM right?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> TIP 4: Have you searched our list archives?
> 
>                http://archives.postgresql.org
> 

--

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 13:18:32 -0300

Actually, Stefan has already turned the monitoring back on again, but thanks 
... it was only offline for a few hours while I determined that that *wasn't* 
the cause of the problem I was seeing ...

- --On Tuesday, May 29, 2007 09:09:11 -0700 "Joshua D. Drake" 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Well as always, we are willing to host. Secondly we are also willing to host
> FreeBSD as we have more than one person comfortable with it now.
>
> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

- ----