Subject: killing gborg - devision of labor

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 13:08:22 -0400

Ok folks, 

I've gotten in contact with some of the project admins and have some projects 
that are ready to move and want to come up with a game plan for moving people 
across.  I'm not overly familiar with some of the parts of the system, so I 
am hoping that someone else can jump in for certain parts. Here's a recap of 
what I think needs to happen for moving a project:

1. create a new project on pgfoundry and assign that project to the proper 
owner.  I can submit these requests and include the proper info, though 
someone will have to approve it.

2. Move CVS -  I think this is a simple move from one machine to the other 
right?  ISTM this has been done before for other projects, is this something 
I can just ask to have done and someone (Marc? Dave?) can make it happen? :-)  

3. Mailing lists - AIUI this is a bit tricker.  Right now we don't have any 
way to quietly migrate mailing lists right?  For a project to move it's list, 
we create a new one on the pgfoundry site, and then load in a list of current 
subscribers from gborg... does that sound right, or is there some other 
method?  Again this is an area I'm not familiar with someone whom I can 
coordinate this through would be great. 

4. Moving bugs and tracker items - I know folks have talked about using 
scripts to do this in the past, do such scripts exists? If not I can look 
into writing one up... though if someone knows that to be a dead-end we can 
probably brute force it by recreating at least the open items for each 
project (assuming the projects are willing to help on this)

5. documentation / downloads - For projects that have a release history, I am 
guessing there is no way to magically move these over; they are something 
that will have to be done manually? If that's not the case please lmk, 
otherwise I'll let project owners know thatsthe case. 

Please let me know if there are other items I am overlooking. Since I have a 
couple of projects ready to move, I'd like to start pushing these through 
sooner rather than later, since it will take some effort to coordinate 
things.  TIA. 

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:27:09 +0200

> someone will have to approve it.

the approval is handled by the gforge-admin team - so just submit them
and they will get approved.

> project (assuming the projects are willing to help on this)

http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000013 has some scripts that
might be of use

Stefan

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 14:48:10 -0300

> I can just ask to have done and someone (Marc? Dave?) can make it happen? :-)

Just let me know which project and I can copy it over easily enough ... just 
make sure that the project admins know not to commit anything to the old when 
they are ready, and to wait for the new to be available ...

> coordinate this through would be great.

I can copy over whatever files are needed, but someone with mailman experience 
will need to provide instructions to export/import whatever is required ...

> project (assuming the projects are willing to help on this)

I believe JoshB had some scripts that he worked up with ChrisR's help from the 
gborg side ... but, I also believe they were meant to be run system-wide, not 
per project ... might provide a starting point though ...

> otherwise I'll let project owners know thatsthe case.

Files themselves should be moveable, and any 'release history', I would 
imagine, would be stored in teh database, so a conversion script of some sort 
would need to be made ...

- ----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email . [email-masked]                              MSN . [email-masked]
Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 10:49:37 -0700

> someone will have to approve it.

Note that pgfoundry is about to move.
Yes someone will have to approve it.

> I can just ask to have done and someone (Marc? Dave?) can make it happen? :-)  

Yes it is as simple as moving the repo "once" the pgfoundry project is 
setup.

> coordinate this through would be great. 

Actually this isn't that tough:

1. Create duplicative prefix name for list (foo-general@gborg == 
foo-general@pgfoundry)
2. Subscribe all users from gborg to pgfoundry (also easy as command 
utilities exist, both are running mailman)
3. Redirect aliases on gborg to aliases on pgfoundry so that old users 
can use old list address for short time
4. Move mboxes to regenerate archives.

> scripts to do this in the past, do such scripts exists? If not I can look 

Supposedly to some degree they do, I would note that this is where the 
migration usually stops because no one has used the scripts and 
obviously nobody is willing to do the work by hand.

Joshua D. Drake

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 08:44:44 +0100

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
>> Ok folks,
>> I've gotten in contact with some of the project admins and have some
>> projects that are ready to move and want to come up with a game plan
>> for moving people across.  I'm not overly familiar with some of the
>> parts of the system, so I am hoping that someone else can jump in for
>> certain parts. Here's a recap of what I think needs to happen for
>> moving a project:
>>
>> 1. create a new project on pgfoundry and assign that project to the
>> proper owner.  I can submit these requests and include the proper
>> info, though someone will have to approve it.
> 

Yeah - I'll make sure we coordinate that with Rob though. I want to make
sure we minimise the impact of either project on the other.

Regards, Dave

---

From: Chris Ryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:42:45 -0700 (PDT)

I was reviewing the conversion script that was created and it only
does the project and bugs. Nothing else was ever written to convert the
rest of the information.  Is there a feel yet for what projects are
willing to leave behind and what they won't. In the past most of the
projects that wanted to move and have done so already were happy with
CVS. I don't know if that is the case though as for the remaining
projects.

Chris Ryan

--- Robert Treat <[email-masked]> wrote:

> projects 
> proper 
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
> 

____________________________________________________________________________________Ready for the edge of your seat? 
Check out tonight's top picks on Yahoo! TV. 
http://tv.yahoo.com/

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:16:35 -0700

Chris,

> CVS. I don't know if that is the case though as for the remaining

Also, note that I last synchronized users over a year ago, so any new users in 
Gborg since then will need to be added *under the same ids* to pgfoundry for 
the scripts to work.  The ids have an offset to prevent overlap.

Complicating this is that some users may have been added under the same names 
in both systems with different user ids.  We'll have to come up with a script 
to fix this.

As for CVS vs. SVN, I think we should worry about SVN support after we get 
Gborg shut down and pgFoundry moved to a new server.

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: Chris Ryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:27:21 -0700 (PDT)

Josh,

    Yes I was aware of that but it's good to bring that to everyones
attention. That is one of the reasons that makes the automated
conversion now harder than it was way-back-when and why I think the
more projects we can get to move with just CVS and or mailman archives
would be the easiest.

Chris Ryan

--- Josh Berkus <[email-masked]> wrote:

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend
> 

____________________________________________________________________________________
Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more. 
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC