Subject: Moving the website project from GBorg

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:06:58 +0100

I've created a pgweb project on pgFoundry to migrate from GBorg to. The 
original idea was to migrate the CVS and just lose the bugs etc. as 
they're largely out of date at the moment anyway. We can make an effort 
to be more organised with the more usable pgFoundry trackers in the future.

Magnus has since come up with an idea though, that instead of using CVS 
on pgFoundry, we move the website CVS to an SVN repository actually on 
wwwmaster to remove the dependency on pgFoundry for the operation of the 
website. This seems like a fine idea to me - any other thoughts or ideas?

/D

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:36:30 +0200

> to be more organised with the more usable pgFoundry trackers in the future.

They're only slightly more usable, but still ;-)
Agreed (again) on the fact that we just drop whatever's tehre now. It's all
insanely out of date.

> website. This seems like a fine idea to me - any other thoughts or ideas?

Can we set up some way to replicate that repository *back* into pgfoundry?
Might be nice for "outsiders" to be able to use the cvs viewer... Or we
just add a simplistic cvs viewer on wwwmaster for them?

//Magnus

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:39:18 +0100

> just add a simplistic cvs viewer on wwwmaster for them?

We could probably rsync it back in, *when* we have a SVN-supporting 
GForge, assuming that it remains 1 repo per project.

/D

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:30:28 -0400

On Tuesday 12 June 2007 04:39, Dave Page wrote:
> > Agreed (again) on the fact that we just drop whatever's tehre now. It's
> > all insanely out of date.
> >
> > Can we set up some way to replicate that repository *back* into
> > pgfoundry? Might be nice for "outsiders" to be able to use the cvs
> > viewer... Or we just add a simplistic cvs viewer on wwwmaster for them?
>

If we're going to go through this trouble, is there some reason not to put up 
a public trac site some place and make use of it? 

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:53:11 +0100

> a public trac site some place and make use of it? 

Seems a little overkill no? It's not like any of it would be used, other
than the SVN interface.

/D

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:02:48 +0200

> Seems a little overkill no? It's not like any of it would be used, other

I use Trac as a svn browser all the time, FWIW. I like it a lot more than
viewcvs or whatever it is you use for pgadmin ;-) But that's just a matter
of taste. Either one *works* fine :)

//Magnus

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:35:47 -0400

On Tuesday 12 June 2007 11:02, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > If we're going to go through this trouble, is there some reason not to
> > > put up a public trac site some place and make use of it?
> >

Well, you get integrated SVN with browser which is good, but also a bug 
tracking thingy if people wanted to use that... and a wiki for public 
documentation... all kinds of goodies.  (Yes, we are officially in bizarro 
world when I'm the one promoting trac sites...)

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:44:47 +0100

Robert Treat wrote:
> documentation... all kinds of goodies. 

Pretty much all of which we already have don't we?

> (Yes, we are officially in bizarro

Yeah, that is weird. Make it stop please - I'm feeling quite queasy :-S

/D

---

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:32:53 +0200

> Pretty much all of which we already have don't we?

well yeah and it is also a bit of duplication of the features we
(mostly) have on pgfoundry already ...

Stefan

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:42:33 +0200

> (mostly) have on pgfoundry already ...

Right. What we could do is just stick up a trac (or whatever, really)
*until* pgfoundry has svn support.

//Magnus

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 12:43:42 -0400

On Tuesday 12 June 2007 12:42, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >>>>>> If we're going to go through this trouble, is there some reason not
> >>>>>> to put up a public trac site some place and make use of it?
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Seems a little overkill no? It's not like any of it would be used,
> >>>>> other than the SVN interface.
> >>>>
> >>>> I use Trac as a svn browser all the time, FWIW. I like it a lot more
> >>>> than viewcvs or whatever it is you use for pgadmin ;-) But that's just
> >>>> a matter of taste. Either one *works* fine :)
> >>>

Did I miss the part where someone said that they'd like to not have the 
website be dependent on pgfoundry?

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:46:12 +0200

> website be dependent on pgfoundry? 

That would be me - yes, I think it would be a feature not to be
dependent on pgfoundry. Especially given pgfoundrys history, but also in
general wrt external depdendencies.

What I'd envision is to have the primary archive on wwwmaster and
replicate it off to pgfoundry - since we want public access to the code,
and that would be a logical place to have it.

//Magnus

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:24:08 -0300

- --On Tuesday, June 12, 2007 15:53:11 +0100 Dave Page <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> Robert Treat wrote:
>>
>> If we're going to go through this trouble, is there some reason not to put
>> up  a public trac site some place and make use of it?
>>
>

Why not just put the project on pgfoundry, and replicate the repository to 
wwwmaster, so that wwwmaster itself isn't relying on pgfoundry ... instead of 
putting it on wwwmaster and trying to replicate it to pgfoundry ... ?

- ----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email . [email-masked]                              MSN . [email-masked]
Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:06:43 -0400

On Tuesday 12 June 2007 17:24, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> --On Tuesday, June 12, 2007 15:53:11 +0100 Dave Page <[email-masked]>
>
> wrote:
> > Robert Treat wrote:
> wwwmaster, so that wwwmaster itself isn't relying on pgfoundry ... instead
> of putting it on wwwmaster and trying to replicate it to pgfoundry ... ?
>

We may need to make website changes even if pgfoundry is down.