Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] We need an Advocacy wiki

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 19:30:56 +0100

> ------- Original Message -------
> From: Neil Conway <[email-masked]>
> To: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
> Sent: 04/08/07, 19:17:59
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [pgsql-www] We need an Advocacy wiki
> 
> On Sat, 2007-04-08 at 18:50 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> > There are disability discrimination issues with all the captcha type
> > systems we've looked at in the past, but we're open to suggestions.
> 
> What "discrimination issues" are you referring to?

Screenreaders cannot read the images.

> Given the multitude of captcha-like systems, I doubt our requirements
> are so unique that we can't find something that does what we need.

Many of the bigger sites (eg. Paypal) offer audio versions of the images, but these we're beyond our resources last time we investigated.

The reason I'm concerned about this is that we now have SPI acting as a legal entity for our funds etc, meaning there's something to be prosecuted for non-compliance with legislation. This has already happened in at least one case when a US based training firm were taken to court in the UK for failing to comply with the Disability Discrimination Act.

Regards, Dave

---

From: Neil Conway <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 11:59:29 -0700

> Screenreaders cannot read the images.

Since the goal is to simplify signups in the common case, can't we just
provide a means for people to email the admins and have an account
created if they can't use the captcha?

> Many of the bigger sites (eg. Paypal) offer audio versions of the images

To play the devil's advocate, ISTM this still discriminates against the
deaf-blind.

-Neil