Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] We need an Advocacy wiki

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 22:08:37 +0100

> ------- Original Message -------
> From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
> To: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: 04/08/07, 21:19:54
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [pgsql-www] We need an Advocacy wiki
> 
> Geez Dave, you seem awefully bitter about this 

Not at all.

> (And given I've cleaned up 
> plenty of spam/junk in our website, sometimes 100+ at a time, and it 
> generally involves nothing more than a few sql commands, I'm not sure why)

If it's from the same batch, then yes, you can often do this.

> But in any case, none of that stuff propogated out to the main website, which 
> was the whole point of this; keeping vandalism/mischief out of public view. 

See Magnus' comment... Not that I think that's the point.

> I 
> think were capable of accomplishing that (though I guess you think it we're 
> much closer to the edge...)

All too often new volunteers fail to keep interest. Virtually all website moderation is done by the same 4 or so people, all of whom are very longterm contributors and have been doing it for years.

I for one don't mind doing the moderation work, but I 'm wary of new ideas which may eventually become part of that work if the initial folks lose interest. I don't think that's unreasonable.

/D

---

From: Decibel! <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 13:41:46 -0500

> I for one don't mind doing the moderation work, but I 'm wary of new ideas which may eventually become part of that work if the initial folks lose interest. I don't think that's unreasonable.

AFAIK we've never really asked for people to help moderate the site.
It's also not published anyplace where you'd go if you did want to help
moderate. Finally, if my experience of trying to become a moderator on
-general[1] is any indication, our signup process for new moderators is
completely broken anyway.

[1]: I was supposedly setup to be a moderator, but I never got any info
on how to do it, nor have I seen any emails that need moderating. IIRC
I've posted about this at least once on -www and got no response. I'd be
happy to help with this stuff as time permits, but I'm not going to go
on a quest to get it setup.
-- 
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        [email-masked]
EnterpriseDB      http://enterprisedb.com      512.569.9461 (cell)

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 20:49:33 +0200

> completely broken anyway.

site != mailinglists. You want to help moderate the site, just post to
-www (which would be the normal thing to do it you had a question about
-www :-P).

But AFAIK you're correct in that we haven't explicitly asked for more
moderators. The need is generally smaller than the lists, but if you're
interested let us now ;-)

//Magnus

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 20:04:51 +0100

> interested let us now ;-)

Yeah, it seems to come in spurts on the website - I think partly when 
the spammers decide to spend a week or so trying to persuade us to turn 
off the moderation in frustration.

It's been pretty quiet the last couple of weeks.

Regards, Dave.

---

From: Decibel! <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 16:54:35 -0500

> interested let us now ;-)

I'd be happy to help; someone just set me up and point me at the
guidelines we're using.
-- 
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        [email-masked]
EnterpriseDB      http://enterprisedb.com      512.569.9461 (cell)