Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] We need an Advocacy wiki

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 23:06:54 +0100

> ------- Original Message -------
> From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
> To: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
> Sent: 04/08/07, 22:18:02
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [pgsql-www] We need an Advocacy wiki
> 
> O.k. perhaps this is a perception problem. Consider my involvement in
> the community and the fact that I thought that I had to do all of the
> above in order to contribute to the site... Now take into account
> someone who isn't as involved as I?

People from all sorts of places mail their requests to webmaster@ from where they are actioned or pointed in the right direction.

This is fairly standard practice the world over, and works quite well - I even do it internally in EDB. In your case, I would expect you to mail the webteam (-www). I don't understand why this is difficult for you.

/D

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 16:58:19 -0700

> This is fairly standard practice the world over, and works quite well - I even do it internally in EDB. In your case, I would expect you to mail the webteam (-www). I don't understand why this is d…

It isn't difficult, it is unexpected. You don't manage content via
webmaster@, that is stupid. We are not talking about one off edits for a
spelling mistake here. Now I would concur that -www would make
reasonable sense, but my point, was that we might have a perception
problem. I was trying to be helpful and I repeat:

Where is the, "How to contribute to the PostgreSQL.Org website HOWTO?".

If it doesn't exist, does it by chance make sense to have one? If not,
why not? It isn't like this is the first time people have brought up the
point that it isn't as easy as it could be to contribute to the website.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --

      === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
PostgreSQL Replication: http://www.commandprompt.com/products/

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 17:41:04 -0700

All,

> webmaster@, that is stupid...

Guys, this is all very entertaining but isn't getting me any closer to having 
a restriction-free wiki for booth/activity signups, and seems to have gone 
pretty far afield of a simple request that should have taken less long to 
fulfill than it has been to discuss.  We really shouldn't have to get into a 
discussion of overhauling the infrastructure for that ...

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 17:46:54 -0700

> discussion of overhauling the infrastructure for that ...

Agreed.

Open up the wiki to signups with email confirmation. Give half a dozen
people we trust access to manage users and rollback content.

Call it good.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 18:43:00 -0700

> people we trust access to manage users and rollback content.

Either that or set up a 2nd, permissive, wiki.  I don't care, I can work it 
either way.

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: Selena Deckelmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 14:56:57 -0700

> Either that or set up a 2nd, permissive, wiki.  I don't care, I can  

The wiki that I used for OSCON is http://pbwiki.com

The features that made it awesome for "event registration" were:

- Per page passwords (we indicated what the password was in the body  
of the page - at this point, bots don't seem to pick that up)
- When modifying a page, users are asked to enter their email address  
and whether they want to be notified when the page changes
- Email to page creator/owners when pages are updated includes the  
email address of the new users, making it easy to contact people

If the new "advocacy wiki" is in the postgresql.org namespace,  
something with those features would most likely prevent the kind of  
"porn + postgresql"  synergy Greg mentioned earlier today.  
Particularly, the per-page passwords seem to prevent spam. (of  
course, its probably just a mater of time...)

Not that this will make Dave, Greg et al. feel much better, but I can  
help moderate the new wiki-space.

-selena
PDXPUG wrangler