Subject: Unable to browse blobs on gitweb

From: Chris Bandy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2025 23:41:03 -0500

Hello!

I like to link to the Postgres source code and comments in my extension
code comments. I use https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb for that, as it
seems to be the canonical site for Postgres source code.

Lately, I have encountered HTTP 429 errors when trying to access blobs. For
example,

curl -I '
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=HISTORY'
> HTTP/2 429
> date: Wed, 13 Aug 2025 04:29:33 GMT
> server: Varnish
> x-varnish: 1288456
> retry-after: 300
> content-length: 0

Is this intentional? If so, is there a better domain or site to (roughly)
permalink to specific lines of released Postgres code?

Thanks!

-- Chris

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2025 00:52:09 -0400

> seems to be the canonical site for Postgres source code.

It is ... but ...

> Lately, I have encountered HTTP 429 errors when trying to access blobs. For

We had to shut down a lot of that stuff thanks to web-scrapers eating
infinite amounts of bandwidth.  (The AI bot companies will be first
against the wall when the revolution comes ... but I digress.)
You might try linking to the github mirror at
https://github.com/postgres/postgres.
So far they seem able to resist the onslaught of uncivilized jerks.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Adrian Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2025 21:54:44 -0700

> So far they seem able to resist the onslaught of uncivilized jerks.

My guess, because they are owned by one of them.

-- 
Adrian Klaver
[email-masked]