Subject: Getting ready for beta

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 12:22:51 -0700

WWW Team,

So, are we ready to update the home page for a beta on Monday?

I'll write the news item ...

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:30:08 -0700

> I'll write the news item ...

Do we have beta1 release notes? I posted yesterday per Tom and haven't
seen anything.

Joshau D. Drake

- --

      === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564   24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997  http://www.commandprompt.com/
			UNIQUE NOT NULL
Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
PostgreSQL Replication: http://www.commandprompt.com/products/

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 21:51:02 +0200

> Do we have beta1 release notes? I posted yesterday per Tom and haven't

I was planning to load up the actual beta docs once it's wrapped, and
put those on the site. If we do that, we can just link to those docs
(labeled "preliminary release notes" or something, of course).

Any objections to the plan of loading the beta docs on the main site?
(No, I don't intend to flag them as "current", they'll just go under
/docs/8.3/)

//Magnus

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 13:45:07 -0700

Magnus,

> (No, I don't intend to flag them as "current", they'll just go under

Sounds good to me.  Would the release notes be /docs/beta/release.html ?

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 13:48:28 -0700

> Sounds good to me.  Would the release notes be /docs/beta/release.html ?
yeah I like that too.

Joshua D. Drake

- --

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 22:55:55 +0200

> Sounds good to me.  Would the release notes be /docs/beta/release.html ?

Unless someone changes the way the docs are built before then, it'll be
/docs/8.3/static/release-8-3.html

//Magnus

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 17:52:59 -0400

> /docs/8.3/static/release-8-3.html

s/static/interactive/   :-)

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 08:32:37 +0200

> s/static/interactive/   :-)

That would work too. But since we have them both I figured we'd want to use the static ones during beta.

or maybe this is the time when we should retire one sdu of docs once and for all? now that we have properly moderated comments I think it wound be a good idea 
to consider..

/Magnus

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 11:45:56 -0400

Magnus Hagander wrote:

> or maybe this is the time when we should retire one sdu of docs once
> and for all? now that we have properly moderated comments I think it
> wound be a good idea to consider..

If you do please make sure to have redirects from the /static/ URLs.

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 10:13:24 -0700

> or maybe this is the time when we should retire one sdu of docs once and for all? now that we have properly moderated comments I think it wound be a good idea 

Only if there is a way (I haven't checked) to turn off viewing of the
comments *regardless* if I am logged in.

I personally don't read, care to read, or want anything to do with
interactive documentation :). Give me what I need, only what I need and
if I need something you don't provide, I will ask.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 20:58:25 -0400

On Saturday 06 October 2007 13:13, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > or maybe this is the time when we should retire one sdu of docs once and
> > for all? now that we have properly moderated comments I think it wound be
> > a good idea to consider..
>
 Luckily the source distribution comes with a complete copy of the 
documentation included, so you can just build it and install it locally and 
never have to worry about using the interactive version.

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 18:23:33 -0700

Robert Treat wrote:
>>>>>> Sounds good to me.  Would the release notes be /docs/beta/release.html

> never have to worry about using the interactive version. 

Yes but the web version is searchable using a really cool search engine
that is backed by PostgreSQL. Seriously though, I have no problem with a
single set of documentation, but what I suggest above really isn't that
tough to do. I nice collapsible DIV should do the trick.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 22:19:00 -0700

Magnus,

>> s/static/interactive/   :-)

This URL isn't live yet.  Will it be?

--Josh

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 22:41:38 -0700

Folks,

Where will the beta downloads live?  I don't know where to link to.

We also need text for:

http://www.postgresql.org/developer/beta

Here's my suggestion:

The PostgreSQL Global Development Group today released the long-awaited 
first beta of version 8.3.  Thanks to an unprecedented number of new 
patches, this version introduces more new and improved features than any 
previous one.   Of course, more new features means that 8.3 needs more 
user testing than any previous version, so we're counting on you to 
download it and test it with development versions of your applications.

The current beta is 8.3Beta1, which is available <a href="link?">from 
the file browser.</a> <a 
href="/docs/8.3/interactive/release-8-3.html>Documentation is available 
online</a> as well.

Among the features in the new version are:
<ul><li>Greatly improved performance consistency, through HOT, Load 
Distributed Checkpoint, JIT bgwriter, Asynchronous Commit, and other 
features.</li>
<li>TSearch2 full text search integrated into the core code with 
improved syntax and ease of adding custom dictionaries.</li>
<li>SQL:XML syntax.</li>
<li>Logging to database-loadable CSV files.</li>
<li>Automated rebuilding of cached plans.</li>
<li>ENUMs, UUIDs and arrays of complex types.</li>
<li>GSSAPI and SSPI authentication support.</li></ul>
... and many others.  <a 
href="/docs/8.3/interactive/release-8-3.html>See the release notes</a> 
for a more complete list of new features.

How soon this beta turns into a release depends on testing by our 
community of users.  As soon as possible, please help us with community 
testing:

<ul><li>Test installing & configuring the new version.</li>
<li>Try out the new features, alone or in combination.</li>
<li>Test porting your old applications.</li>
<li>Test integration with drivers and other database tools.</li>
<li>Run performance tests on the new database.</li>
<li>If you are a Windows developer, try compiling using our <i>new</i> 
Visual C++ support.</li></ul>

As always, please send any of the bugs you find using the <a 
href="/support/submitbug">bug submission form.</a>   Your help with 
testing will ensure that this version of PostgreSQL is as secure, 
reliable and bug-free as previous versions -- and get the beta over with 
quickly!

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 09:40:14 +0100

> tough to do. I nice collapsible DIV should do the trick.

And leave the (ex) static docs bloated for those of us who use them on 
handheld devices via slower cellular connections like GPRS.

/D

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:12:23 +0200

> This URL isn't live yet.  Will it be?

It is now. Or rather, it is on wwwmaster now, it'll be once it replicates
out.

//Magnus

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 09:02:37 -0700

> handheld devices via slower cellular connections like GPRS.

O.k. let me reiterate here :). I am not against two set of docs, nor am
I against one set of docs. I am against one set of docs that does not
allow me to turn off the interactivity.

It appears we have another issue per Dave's email, in that some people
are using GPRS to browse are docs.

Joshua D. Drake

> 
> /D
> 
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend
> 

- --