Subject: Inappropriate blog for the front page?

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 14:32:02 +0000

Not sure this is something we want on the homepage:

Hubert Lubaczewski: what pisses me off about postgresql
http://www.depesz.com/index.php/2007/10/28/what-pisses-me-off-about-postgresql/

Though I don't imagine we want to censor Hubert as he writes some
interesting and useful stuff.

Thoughts?

/D

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:38:06 +0100

> interesting and useful stuff.

I say leave it there. The article brings up very valid points. It is
among the "interesting and useful" stuff he writes. The title may be
less than ideal, but hey, it'll cause people to read it :-)

Just write a blog post of your own and this one will get kicked off the
frontpage RSN :-P

//Magnus

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 14:48:46 +0000

> Just write a blog post of your own and this one will get kicked off the

I'm not referring to the content - I wouldn't want to suggest stopping
anyone making valid criticism. I'm referring to the language which is
almost certainly offensive to many.

/D

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:54:03 +0100

> almost certainly offensive to many.

Hmm. I obviously live in a very different society than you do, because I
don't know of anybody who'd be offended by "pissed of". There are a lot
of much worse ways of saying that that would offend people, but I don't
see this as one.

But that could be just me :-) My vote is still to keep it, but I
certainly understand that others can see it differently.

//Magnus

---

From: Petr Jelinek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:44:38 +0100

> almost certainly offensive to many.

I talked with depesz and he changed the title, I don't know if the 
change will be propagated to planet automatically tho, if not then do it 
manually, please.

-- 
Regards
Petr Jelinek (PJMODOS)

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:46:35 -0700

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 14:32:02 +0000

> interesting and useful stuff.

By having syndicated content, we have two options, censor or accept.

We could certainly have a word filter (we just had this discussion on
gforge-admins) but I don't know that it is worth it. Perhaps a small
note to Hubert?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

-- 

      === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564   24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997  http://www.commandprompt.com/
			UNIQUE NOT NULL
Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
PostgreSQL Replication: http://www.commandprompt.com/products/

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:49:53 -0700

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:54:03 +0100
Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > I'm not referring to the content - I wouldn't want to suggest
> > stopping anyone making valid criticism. I'm referring to the
> > language which is almost certainly offensive to many.
> 
> Hmm. I obviously live in a very different society than you do,
> because I don't know of anybody who'd be offended by "pissed of".

There are two sides to this:

1. Those who will be offended

There is definitely those who will find this offensive. It is
considered a bit of a swear word, albeit not nearly as much as others.

2. Those who will feel it is unprofessional.

I fall into #2 but I can sure as hell understand why PostgreSQL pisses
some people off and something you just want to shout about it.

> There are a lot of much worse ways of saying that that would offend
> people, but I don't see this as one.
> 

What this comes down to is this, how "correct" do we want to be?
Personally I feel the following words we can probably let slide:

Damn
Hell
Piss/es ;)

There are certainly much worse words we could be publishing.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> 
> //Magnus
> 
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 6: explain analyze is your
> friend
> 

--

---

From: hubert depesz lubaczewski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:50:24 +0100

> gforge-admins) but I don't know that it is worth it. Perhaps a small

usually the note would not be neccessary as i read the lists, but today
i (and at least one more person from #postgresql) didn't get any emails
from lists for hours, so i just learned about the issue.

title changed.

planet is already up to date.

depesz

-- 
quicksil1er: "postgres is excellent, but like any DB it requires a
highly paid DBA.  here's my CV!" :)
http://www.depesz.com/ - blog dla ciebie (i moje CV)

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 11:56:42 -0400

> By having syndicated content, we have two options, censor or accept.

Right, and we already have a very frustrating current example of
people applying content rules to community resources.  So this comes
down to "accept or stop syndicating".  If this case is bad enough to
worry about, then let's stop syndicating.

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan  | [email-masked]

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:04:07 -0700

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:50:24 +0100
hubert depesz lubaczewski <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > We could certainly have a word filter (we just had this discussion
> > on gforge-admins) but I don't know that it is worth it. Perhaps a
> > small note to Hubert?
> 
> usually the note would not be neccessary as i read the lists, but
> today i (and at least one more person from #postgresql) didn't get
> any emails from lists for hours, so i just learned about the issue.
> 
> title changed.
> 

Thanks for understanding Hubert, we really appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:12:10 -0300

> some people off and something you just want to shout about it.

It is a community resource; an aggregation of individuals' weblogs.  It
doesn't _have_ to be "professional".

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                          Developer, http://www.PostgreSQL.org/
Y una voz del caos me habló y me dijo
"Sonríe y sé feliz, podría ser peor".
Y sonreí. Y fui feliz.
Y fue peor.

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:23:12 -0700

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:12:10 -0300
Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > I fall into #2 but I can sure as hell understand why PostgreSQL
> > pisses some people off and something you just want to shout about
> > it.
> 
> It is a community resource; an aggregation of individuals' weblogs.
> It doesn't _have_ to be "professional".

There is a modicum of professionalism that must be adhered to if you
want your content to appear on postgresql.org.

I agree that it isn't required for planet as a whole.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:00:24 +0000

> certainly understand that others can see it differently.

Understood - it always amused me that the phrase would be used in US
sitcoms whilst other 'lesser' profanities would be avoided like the plague.

/D

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:25:50 +0000

> planet is already up to date.

Thanks - I appreciate it.

Regards, Dave.