Subject: Training events policy ... first test case

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:58:28 -0700

Folks,

Everyone on this list who spoke up approved of the "No more than one training 
event per company per month" policy for training events.  The purpose of this 
policy is to prevent training companies from messing with our events listings 
in order to grab the "top 3 spots" from the home page.

EnterpriseDB has just submitted 3 trainings for November and 2 for December.  
While I believe that EDB actually plans on holding all of these trainings, it 
is the kind of flooding of the training listings that we're trying to 
prevent.  

How should we suggest they revise the training listings?  

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:59:55 -0700

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:58:28 -0700
Josh Berkus <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Folks,
> 
> Everyone on this list who spoke up approved of the "No more than one
> training event per company per month" policy for training events.
> The purpose of this policy is to prevent training companies from
> messing with our events listings in order to grab the "top 3 spots"
> from the home page.
> 
> EnterpriseDB has just submitted 3 trainings for November and 2 for
> December. While I believe that EDB actually plans on holding all of
> these trainings, it is the kind of flooding of the training listings
> that we're trying to prevent.  
> 
Have them submit a single event that states:

Training events from November thru December

Joshua D. Drake

-- 

      === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564   24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997  http://www.commandprompt.com/
			UNIQUE NOT NULL
Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
PostgreSQL Replication: http://www.commandprompt.com/products/

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:01:37 -0400

> Training events from November thru December

That seems to suck in a number of ways; penalizes companies who offer more 
diverse training schedules, penalizes users looking for training in specific 
locales.  The classes between november and december have a month interval, if 
no other classes are taking place during that time, I think it is ok that 
thier listings show up, so for me this is not an issue.  Now, looking at each 
month individually, if we approve all 3 november events, currently that would 
knock out the modern course untill the 8th, which kind of sucks too.  The tie 
breaker for me is that it seems what is really important to someone looking 
for training is the date and location, so that two classes on different 
continents should not be penalized because they are put on by the same 
company (this thinking is re-enforced in that we dont show company names on 
the main page).  Also, given enough companies and bad scheduling luck, you 
can always get bumped off the main page, so I think we should approve them 
all.  

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:28:11 -0700

Robert,

> Also, given enough companies and bad scheduling luck, you can
> always get bumped off the main page, so I think we should approve them
> all.

They problem is that we *know* we have companies who are scheduling 
training sessions which will never be held, in order to keep their names 
in that "top 3".  Maybe we need to revisit how training events are listed 
on the home page?

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:49:09 -0300

> in that "top 3".  Maybe we need to revisit how training events are listed

Why not make an 'events calendar', instead of a scrolling list of events?

- ----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email . [email-masked]                              MSN . [email-masked]
Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:07:28 -0400

> in that "top 3".  Maybe we need to revisit how training events are listed

Ok, but we know enterprisedb isnt one of them, so I say let them have at it, 
and for companies we find out are doing this, we put them on probation and 
limit them to 1 posting a month.