Subject: Git access?

From: David Fetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 08:52:58 -0700

Folks,

How do I get access to create git repositories on git.postgresql.org?

Cheers,
David (and yes, I did write <[email-masked]>.  No
response yet.)
-- 
David Fetter <[email-masked]> http://fetter.org/
Phone: +1 415 235 3778  AIM: dfetter666  Yahoo!: dfetter
Skype: davidfetter      XMPP: [email-masked]

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to Postgres: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 18:04:03 +0200

> David (and yes, I did write <[email-masked]>.  No

I think (hope?) that people are working on a better way to deal with
accounts on that one, per some previous discussion. But - that looks to
be the correct address to me, so I think you just need to be a bit more
patient...

//Magnus

---

From: David Fetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 09:55:57 -0700

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 06:04:03PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> accounts on that one, per some previous discussion. But - that looks
> to be the correct address to me, so I think you just need to be a
> bit more patient...

In case it wasn't obvious, I'm volunteering to do work on this.  What
needs doing?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:05:41 -0700

> In case it wasn't obvious, I'm volunteering to do work on this.  What

We need to non-shell account authentication. You can use something like
mod_auth_pgsql or another thing (I can't recall the name) that git
actually suggests.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:54:43 +0200

> David (and yes, I did write <[email-masked]>.  No

I did get an email from you at that address, but it did not contain any 
questions or action items, so I just archived it.

The plan is to try out gitosis for account management.  I have no experience 
with this, so we'd need to play around with it first.

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 18:39:21 -0700

> with this, so we'd need to play around with it first.

Peter,

Just FYI if you find you don't like that direction, let me know and I
would gladly show you how I did it for pgweb with SVN... I believe it
would work out of the box for the git stuff.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

---

From: David Fetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:10:13 -0700

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 01:54:43PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I did get an email from you at that address, but it did not contain
> any questions or action items, so I just archived it.

Please find enclosed the email I sent.  If there was something unclear
in it, please let me know what it was.

> The plan is to try out gitosis for account management.

It's an interesting plan, but it's one that's preventing people from
using the service.  How about shelving that plan for the moment and
handing out access as needed to developers? :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 21:14:35 +0200

> handing out access as needed to developers? :)

Please don't. Handing more access out in an uncontrolled way will give
us a lot more work cleaning things up later.

//Magnus

---

From: David Fetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:00:32 -0700

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 09:14:35PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > It's an interesting plan, but it's one that's preventing people
> > from using the service.  How about shelving that plan for the
> > moment and handing out access as needed to developers? :)
> 
> Please don't. Handing more access out in an uncontrolled way will
> give us a lot more work cleaning things up later.

With respect, I must disagree.  This resource is incredibly easy to
maintain--and practically useless--because nobody can get on there.

If somebody or somebodies here is thinking about some kind of single
sign-on[1] system for developers, let's discuss that separately.  I
don't recall anybody deciding that we were going to use one, and I
certainly don't recall that it's been decided that that decision gates
access to git.postgresql.org.

Cheers,
David.

[1]  For me, "single sign-on" reads as "high-value target" from an
attacker's point of view, and I generally think the convenience isn't
worth the cascading failure modes such systems have.
-- 
David Fetter <[email-masked]> http://fetter.org/
Phone: +1 415 235 3778  AIM: dfetter666  Yahoo!: dfetter
Skype: davidfetter      XMPP: [email-masked]

Remember to vote!

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:05:11 -0700

> maintain--and practically useless--because nobody can get on there.

I think the point is, we don't want to give shell accounts out. Which is
why we are waiting. That is something I can get behind. We don't need to
be handing out yet more shell accounts.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

---

From: David Fetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:12:11 -0700

> be handing out yet more shell accounts.

Why not?  They can be revoked any time. 

Meanwhile, people's inability to use them is costing us.  People are
hosting projects outside our system, not because they don't like our
system, but because they can't get a workable SCM from pgfoundry or
anywhere else inside our system.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:48:47 -0400

> Why not?  They can be revoked any time. 

Because the people who have to maintain them with the current manual
system say they're not willing to do so, because it costs them too
much time.

Adding more administrators to that pile does not help the problem, it
merely moves the problem of automation tools to another place.

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/