Subject: PostgreSQL Software Catalogue

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:53:25 +0100

I'm pleased to announce the launch of the PostgreSQL Software Catalogue at:

    http://www.postgresql.org/download/product-categories

Linked from the Download section of the PostgreSQL website, the
Software Catalogue aims to list all the drivers, tools, applications
and other software available to work with and on PostgreSQL in a
single place to avoid all that tedious googling previously required!

If you have a product or project you'd like to add, please check it's
not already listed, and fill out the form at:

    http://www.postgresql.org/download/submitproduct

-- 
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Tatsuo Ishii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 01:56:31 +0900 (JST)

Is it possible for non-software services to be listed in the list?
What I have in my mind is, PostgreSQL Certification program.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> -To unsubscribe from this list, send an email to:
> 
>                [email-masked]

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 19:26:42 +0100

> What I have in my mind is, PostgreSQL Certification program.

Hi,

The software catalogue is just for software - a certification service
would fit more appropriately in the Professional Service list at
http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support. I don't know
what moderation criteria is being used there however; Magnus would be
able to tell you if such an entry would be accepted.

Regards, Dave.

---

From: "Selena Deckelmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:22:15 -0700

>    http://www.postgresql.org/download/product-categories

Very cool!

UI suggestion: Put the Categories in the left-hand navigation - either
grouped under 'Software Catalogue' or as a separate blue blob under
the main navigation.

Right now, a user gets a little isolated when they click on any of
those categories.

-selena

-- 
Selena Deckelmann
United States PostgreSQL Association - http://www.postgresql.us
PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
Me - http://www.chesnok.com/daily

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 20:38:57 +0100

>>    http://www.postgresql.org/download/product-categories

Thanks.

> Right now, a user gets a little isolated when they click on any of

The category names tend to be too long to fit reasonably in there -
the space isn't wide enough. I'm not entirely convinced it's a problem
though - there are no nested categories and the list is only ever a
click away.

It's also not an entirely straightforward change to display it on all
pages, but that of course is a smop.

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:14:40 +0200

> able to tell you if such an entry would be accepted.

Uh.. If it's a company that provides the service, yes, it sounds like it
should go under professional services. If it's about a specific program,
that doesn't really sound like the best place for it...

//Magnus