Subject: New software catalog fails (why are we spelling it "catalogue"?)

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:45:56 -0000

Just tried out the new "Submit Product" form and got a
SQL error:

===
Error communicating with database: ERROR: insert or update on
table "products" violates foreign key constraint
"products_contact_fkey" DETAIL: Key (contact)=(Greg) is not
present in table "users".
===

- --
Greg Sabino Mullane [email-masked]
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200806111043
http://biglumber.com/x/web?pk=2529DF6AB8F79407E94445B4BC9B906714964AC8

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:53:17 +0100

> present in table "users".

Rats. That happens because *%*£$% MediaWiki insists on re-casing names
so we had to make the logon code case-insensitive. You need to logon
using the same casing as we have stored in the database to satisfy the
foreign key. Meanwhile, I'll be fixing up the code to try to handle
that....

Oh, and it's 'catalogue' because that's how catalogue is spelt. In
English. In England. If you broke the spelling on your side of the
pond then that's your look out :-p

-- 
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 16:26:39 +0100

> foreign key. Meanwhile, I'll be fixing up the code to try to handle

For the benefit of those interested in this sort of thing, I've fixed
this by having community_logon() return the userid as found in the
database rather than as the user entered, so subsequent code finds it
with the correct casing. The userid parameter was already declared
INOUT so 'twas a simple change.

---

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 16:31:28 -0000

> INOUT so 'twas a simple change.

Thanks Dave, I verified that this worked by submitting two new
entries.

I await your patch to have PG start using "pg_catalogue" ;)

- --
Greg Sabino Mullane [email-masked]
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200806111229
http://biglumber.com/x/web?pk=2529DF6AB8F79407E94445B4BC9B906714964AC8

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:30:29 +0100

> I await your patch to have PG start using "pg_catalogue" ;)

I'm actually very tempted to do so, if only to see how people reacted :-p

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:37:10 +0200

> I'm actually very tempted to do so, if only to see how people reacted :-p

I wonder if I'll loose my  commit permissions if I commit that patch for
you real quick.. ;-)

//Magnus

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:40:46 -0700

> I wonder if I'll loose my  commit permissions if I commit that patch for

I think we should do it in swahili.

Joshua D. Drake

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:40:50 +0100

> I wonder if I'll loose my  commit permissions if I commit that patch for

Well as it would probably be down to me to remove it....

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:41:33 +0100

> I think we should do it in swahili.

Which would make it pg_?????

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:50:54 -0700

> Which would make it pg_?????

I couldn't find the swahili so I divert to Russian!

каталогизировать

Joshua D. Drake

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:52:10 +0100

> I couldn't find the swahili so I divert to Russian!

Hmm - is pg_каталогизировать valid? Or does the prefix change the
meaning in some way?

We have to get these things right y'know...

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:55:41 -0700

> We have to get these things right y'know...

пг_каталогизировать

Should do it :) Of course their might be the problem with tab complete.

JHoshua D. Drake

---

From: Raymond O'Donnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:27:23 +0100

>>> I couldn't find the swahili so I divert to Russian!

How about Irish? -

   pg_clár

Nice and short! :-)

Ray.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Raymond O'Donnell, Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Ireland
[email-masked]
Galway Cathedral Recitals: http://www.galwaycathedral.org/recitals
------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:29:41 -0700

> >>> I couldn't find the swahili so I divert to Russian!

Nahhh, then we would have to change the name to postgres.

Joshua D. Drake

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:30:42 -0400

> Nahhh, then we would have to change the name to postgres.

Are you advocating it should be named pgsql_catalogue?

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:32:27 +0100

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 8:27 PM, Raymond O'Donnell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On 11/06/2008 19:55, Joshua D. Drake wrote:te:
>>

Well it's certainly more pronounceable for most of us than
пг_каталогизировать I'd wager.

---

From: Raymond O'Donnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:37:32 +0100

> пг_каталогизировать I'd wager.

My wife is beside me on the couch here at home, and has been following
this thread second-hand - she reckons we all have too much time on our
hands..... :-P

Ray.

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:49:15 +0100

> this thread second-hand - she reckons we all have too much time on our

</me waves>

She's most probably right...

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:53:43 -0700

> She's most probably right...

I wonder if that means that Raymond is volunteering for some tasks.
Dave, didn't you have a list of, "it would be nice to get these done
someday" items?

Joshua D> Drake

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:56:30 +0100

> Dave, didn't you have a list of, "it would be nice to get these done

Hey, that's a good point - what's your preference Raymond; PHP,
sysadmin work or C++?

:-p

---

From: Raymond O'Donnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 21:07:20 +0100

> Hey, that's a good point - what's your preference Raymond; PHP,

She'd be the first to tell me that I spend too much time coding... I am, 
after all, a part-time IT person.... :-)

Seriously, though, I can do some PHP - but ask me again in a few months' 
time - am up to my gills with work just now.

Ray.

---

From: Alexey Klyukin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 00:09:45 +0300

> Should do it :) Of course their might be the problem with tab complete.

Hey, it's not пг_каталогизировать but пг_каталог. Even shorter :)

-- 
Alexey Klyukin                         http://www.commandprompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.