Subject: Translated documentations

From: Tatsuo Ishii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 15:50:39 +0900 (JST)

Hi,

JPUG(Japan PostgreSQL Users Group) has been translating the PostgreSQL
docs into Japanese and been distributing through their web site. The
translation work is surprisingly fast, usually Japanese translated
docs are uploaded no later than 1 week after PostgreSQL is
released. Thanks those who are volunteering the work.

I think it would be nice that PostgreSQL main web site has the
translated docs or has a link to them. Many open source projects do
this way. This is not only usefull but good to appeal how the world
wide PostgreSQL commnuities help each other.

What do you think?
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

---

From: Guillaume Lelarge <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:38:02 +0200

Hi,

> released. Thanks those who are volunteering the work.

For minor and major releases, french translated docs are available the 
same day PostgreSQL is released. It's not really a big deal for minor 
releases. It's much more work for a major release, so we begin to work 
on the translation when the first beta appears and we translate every 
beta and RC release.

One major issue is the release.sgml file which is hard and tedious to 
do. Last one aren't translated because it's too much work. I really need 
to work on this.

> wide PostgreSQL commnuities help each other.

Having the translated one on the PostgreSQL main website would be a bit 
hard because of the search functionality. I think a link would be simpler.

On the search functionality, I added it to the french translation web 
site : it's really simple to do with the text search facility of 
PostgreSQL 8.3.

Regards.

-- 
Guillaume.
  http://www.postgresqlfr.org
  http://dalibo.com

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 10:32:11 -0400 (EDT)

> wide PostgreSQL commnuities help each other.

I think it is a great idea.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

---

From: "Selena Deckelmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:12:12 -0700

> wide PostgreSQL commnuities help each other.

This is a great idea!

I don't do anything with documentation currently, but if there are
some sysadmin tasks I can lend a hand with, I would love to do so!

Francisco Morosini from the Peruvian PUG has offered to update the
Spanish translation - and it sounds like a group may be starting in
Spain (thanks to Jean-Paul!).

The PUGs server could be used as a test-ground for the integration.

-selena

-- 
Selena Deckelmann
United States PostgreSQL Association - http://www.postgresql.us
PDXPUG - http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
Me - http://www.chesnok.com/daily

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:16:35 -0700

> The PUGs server could be used as a test-ground for the integration.

We have a complete translation infrastructure in place as far as I know. 
We just need to start hosting it.

Dave, Magnus?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

---

From: "Jaime Casanova" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 11:47:15 -0500

> We have a complete translation infrastructure in place as far as I know.

do we? it could be of great help...
the spanish community tried it more than once (there is a pgfoundry
with a system to help us in that task
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/webtranslator), but we can't finish, yet

how other groups has translated the documentation so fast?

-- 
regards,
Jaime Casanova
Soporte y capacitación de PostgreSQL
Guayaquil - Ecuador
Cel. (593) 87171157

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 10:05:22 -0700

> do we? it could be of great help...

Actually, I am wrong. The docs do not appear to have any translation 
infrastructure. Peter would be a better person to answer that question.

Joshua D. Drake

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 17:02:17 -0400

> do we? it could be of great help...

A think a Pootle installation should be more than enough.  Not that I
have tried it, but when talking to people about this issue, they all
seem to think that Pootle handles (most of?) the issues.

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 17:03:37 -0400

> Spain (thanks to Jean-Paul!).

Update it?  Please talk Francisco out of that.  The old spanish
translation is not of very high quality.  In my opinion it would be
better to start from scratch.

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.

---

From: Tatsuo Ishii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 07:19:53 +0900 (JST)

> I think it is a great idea.

Thanks. It seems just making a link to JPUG's translated docs is
a good start. The URL is:

http://www.postgresql.jp/document/

Probably we modify:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/

a little bit and put links to localized docs like this:

    * Documentation
    * Manuals
        o Archive
        o Japanese manuals
        o French manuals
	      :
	      :
	      :
    * Security
    * What's New
    * FAQs

Anybody wants to work on this? Or I could edit the page if I get
enough permission.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 22:02:13 -0400

> Anybody wants to work on this? Or I could edit the page if I get

This was on my todo list after pgcon, but I hadn't figure out where to put it. 
I think what I would like to do is a combination of this and my original 
thinking, which would be to add a link in the side nav under "archive" 
for "translations", and also a link under the "more manuals" link 
for "foreign languages" on the main doc sidebar, both of which would go to a 
list of foreign language translation links. This would look similar to the 
international community page, where we have the names of the links in the 
foreign language. Sound ok? 

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Tatsuo Ishii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 12:10:53 +0900 (JST)

> foreign language. Sound ok? 

Sounds great!
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

---

From: "Selena Deckelmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:30:52 -0700

> better to start from scratch.

No problem!  They have not started, just have started asking questions
about what to do.

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 23:42:30 -0400

> No problem!  They have not started, just have started asking questions

I'd love to talk to the guy about this project.  Can you put me in touch
with him?

---

From: "Selena Deckelmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:52:09 -0700

Taken off-list...

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 18:34:14 +0200

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> The docs do not appear to have any translation

I have no experience with any documentation translation tools or 
infrastructure.  I'd be glad to provide whatever resources I can to help, 
such as the pgtranslation pgfoundry project, but I don't really know any more 
about this than the rest of you.

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:24:18 +0100

> foreign language. Sound ok?
Sounds good to me for a start. I'd would like to add the
infrastructure to host the translations ourselves (something I
discussed with Tatsuo and a couple of the PostgreSQLFr guys at FOSDEM)
- I've just been swamped recently and haven't had time to look at it
yet.

-- 
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Tatsuo Ishii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 00:09:42 +0900 (JST)

> > foreign language. Sound ok? 

So how can I help you to make this real?
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:38:38 +0100

> So how can I help you to make this real?

How does this look? (I had a few minutes while a build was running :-) ).

http://dave.pgadmin.org/docs/

I struggled to find sensible text to fill a page (without just
waffling), so just added links to either side.

---

From: Tatsuo Ishii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 00:43:47 +0900 (JST)

> waffling), so just added links to either side.

Looks good to me.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:53:18 +0100

>> waffling), so just added links to either side.

OK, committed. Don't let that stop you doing something more extensive Robert :-p

---

From: Guillaume Lelarge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 20:39:29 +0200

> waffling), so just added links to either side.

That's great. Thanks Dave :)