Subject: Certification?

From: Chander Ganesan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 20:41:16 -0400

Hello All,

I've noticed that, as a trend, more and more training events are listed 
that purport a "certification" in PostgreSQL .  In many ways, I find 
this to be a bit misleading, in that no "industry recognized" 
certification for PostgreSQL exists (except perhaps the SRA one in 
Japan), and its quite possible that folks might mis-construe the use of 
the word "certification" on the "postgresql.org" site as being a 
"recognized" certification - or one that is sanctioned by the PostgreSQL 
community.

Perhaps it would be best left to companies to advertise their own 
special "certification" on their web site (which they may easily link to 
via their training course listing), as opposed to on the PostgreSQL.org 
site, where it might be mis-interpreted to mean something that it isn't...

thoughts?

Chander

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 18:51:03 -0700

> site, where it might be mis-interpreted to mean something that it isn't...

Well if a training company wants to offer a certification for their
training...?

Don't get me wrong, I know your trying to address quality of content
issues here (as well as possible nefarious issues) but I think the
market will bring to bear those who are successful and those that
aren't.

There is a reason .Org has the big old disclaimer that says this is not
an endorsement.

---

From: Chander Ganesan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 23:08:57 -0400

> Well if a training company wants to offer a certification for their
Sure.  No problem...let them advertise it on the landing page for that 
course...nothing to prevent them from doing that....  I'm just saying 
that listing it on the event/training link gives the impression that its 
an endorsed certification.
> market will bring to bear those who are successful and those that
Actually, I'm really not....  I am, more than anything else, trying to 
bring to the attention of the community what I see as a somewhat 
deceptive business practice...I'd hate to see all training companies 
adopt such strategies to remain competitive (two already have...) 
Believe it or not, prospects for training see great value in any course 
that has the word "certification" next to it.
> There is a reason .Org has the big old disclaimer that says this is not
I don't think many people read that endorsement. Besides, it only speaks 
towards the training itself, and not anything else...such as the cert.  
People should know there isn't an industry recognized certification.  
IMHO, it's not good for the community for them to think otherwise...

-- 
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.
One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
Morrisville, NC  27560
877-258-8987/919-463-0999
http://www.otg-nc.com