Subject: www.postgresql.org page change?

From: Michael Glaesemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:00:01 +0900

Hi all!

Looking at www.postgresql.org, it seems the page changed! It looks like 
the advocacy page, except the images are broken. What's up? Plus 
there's no links to the docs, which is kinda inconvenient.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

---

From: Michael Glaesemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:05:03 +0900

Looks like the old page is  back. Must have been a momentary lapse.

On Jul 14, 2004, at 9:00 PM, Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Looking at www.postgresql.org, it seems the page changed! It looks 
> like the advocacy page, except the images are broken. What's up? Plus 
> ---------------------------(end of 
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if 
> your
>      joining column's datatypes do not match
>
>
Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:59:42 -0300 (ADT)

Looks fine to me from here at 11am ADT ... all images load up too ...

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Looking at www.postgresql.org, it seems the page changed! It looks like the 
> advocacy page, except the images are broken. What's up? Plus there's no links 
> to the docs, which is kinda inconvenient.
>
>
> Michael Glaesemann
> grzm myrealbox com
>
>
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Michael Glaesemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:12:43 +0900

>> there's no links to the docs, which is kinda inconvenient.

I'm not sure what happened, but the server was definitely serving up a 
different page for at least a couple of minutes. One person brought it 
up in #postgresql on freenode, and then I and another person verified 
that it was different. (Screenshots from two different machines 
available if you want.) I don't know what happened. I'm just glad it 
seems to have reverted itself :)

Regards,

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:22:28 -0300 (ADT)

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Michael Glaesemann wrote:

>>> the advocacy page, except the images are broken. What's up? Plus there's 
>>> no links to the docs, which is kinda inconvenient.
>
> different page for at least a couple of minutes. One person brought it up in 
> #postgresql on freenode, and then I and another person verified that it was 
> different. (Screenshots from two different machines available if you want.) I 
> don't know what happened. I'm just glad it seems to have reverted itself :)

If it ever happens again, can you confirm the IP?  I just checked the 
server, and the httpd process itself hasn't been restarted since July 3rd, 
and I just got into the office, so it isn't something that I did (or 
fixed) ... Dave, did you do anything to fix it?

Now, if you say it came up with the advocacy page ... the way that apache 
works is if you happen to go in via IP, it will reply with the first 
virtual host in its config file ... which happens to be 
advocacy.postgresql.org ... but I don't know why, if you went in via name, 
it would do that ... and, just checked, and the last time that file was 
modified was "Feb 17 12:41" ...

As far as I know, it doesn't even rely on reverse DNS for anything (or, 
forward, for that matter), as the way I understand it, the browser sends 
the 'hostname' down the stream to tell the web server which virtual host 
to do ... which is why some of the older browsers wouldn't work with 
virtual named hosts, since they didn't know to send that information down 
...

Anyone else here know more then I do about this sort of thing?  Oleg?

----

---

From: Michael Glaesemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:44:18 +0900

On Jul 14, 2004, at 11:22 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> If it ever happens again, can you confirm the IP?

Will do! :)

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com