Subject: Re: Moving services to a new server / IP ...

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:21:17 +0100

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Marc G. Fournier [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 05 April 2004 15:14
> To: Dave Page
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; 
> [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Moving services to a new server / IP ...
> 
> True, but all that means is that the script to do the updates 
> just needs to copy over the appropriate rsyncd.conf file that 
> gets generated, no?
> That is, I believe, the only part that is database driven?

No, there is a C prog that periodically scans the rsync logfile and sets
the last sync timestamp in the DB based on when it sees connections from
the mirrors. That's how we keep track of which mirrors are up to date.

Regards, Dave

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 13:12:39 -0300 (ADT)

> the mirrors. That's how we keep track of which mirrors are up to date.

'k, and the buildsite builds a hard copy of mirror-ftp.html, correct?
ohhhh, now I understand what you are getting at ... how periodic is that
C program run?  Its something that could run remotely as long as the IP
of the remote VM is allowed to connect to the database, right?

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:41:26 +0100 (BST)

It's rumoured that Marc G. Fournier once said:
> ohhhh, now I understand what you are getting at ... how periodic is
> that C program run?  Its something that could run remotely as long as
> the IP of the remote VM is allowed to connect to the database, right?

It runs hourly, and yes, it could run remotely. It simply runs a bunch of
update queries so there isn't a great deal of data transferred. It's in
/usr/local/rsync-mgr (or something like that) if you wanna take a look. Be
warned though, it's not nice - I take solace in the knowledge that I
wasn't responsible for it!
Regards, Dave.