Subject: Moving services to a new server / IP ...

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 16:11:30 -0300 (ADT)

In order to deal with the DDoS attacks that have been hitting one of our
clients, we've just setup a US based server that offers DDoS filtering
(not sure how they are doing it, but apparently they've been effective in
the past) ... the server that we are moving the client to has 700GB of
available bandwidth on it, and his VM uses <30GB of it ...

First thing we're going to be doing is setting up redundant DNS on that
machine, replicated from the main server (we use bind-dlz for DNS), so in
case of problems in the future, we'll be able to relatively easily change
DNS around ...

Second thing is we're going to build a VM on the machine that we're going
to rsync a bunch of stuff over to, to offload it from the servers in
Panama ... masters will remain there, all that will be on the US server
will be mirrors ...

Dave and I just chatted, and came up with the following as easy things to
move across:

	ftp.postgresql.org (which also means I'll be able to open it up a
                            bit more for # of connections and speed)
	anoncvs.postgresql.org
	rsync.postgresql.org
		- this is where mirrors will connect to to update
                  themselves, and will itself be updated hourly
	bt.postgresql.org

Basically, those things that are not database dependent ... we had thought
about www.postgresql.org, but there are just too many database
dependencies on it ... *but* ... with DNS on that server also, if the
Panama network goes down, its a simple update on the SQL database on the
US server to change www.postgresql.org to point at rsync.postgresql.org
for the duration ...

Is there anything else that doesn't have any database dependencies that
could be easily mirrored, that we're not thinking of?

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 10:18:04 +0100 (BST)

It's rumoured that Marc G. Fournier once said:
> !

On further thought we cannot move rsync because the mirror tracking code
needs db access (as does the rsync access control stuff) :-(
Regards, Dave

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 11:14:01 -0300 (ADT)

> needs db access (as does the rsync access control stuff) :-(

True, but all that means is that the script to do the updates just needs
to copy over the appropriate rsyncd.conf file that gets generated, no?
That is, I believe, the only part that is database driven?

----