Subject: Re: On-line docs for PG 8.1 need updating

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 22:37:37 +0100

> I see that we have 8.1 static and interactive docs up already 
> (good) but they are 8.1RC1 (not so good).  Would someone 
> please update them to 8.1 final?

Dave? Probalby easiest for you to do that, as you did what's up there
now.

> Also, there's no links for the 8.1 docs yet at 
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/ or 
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/

That's intentional, it's scheduled to go up along with the press release
and related info once the release is done.

//Magnus

---

From: Neil Conway <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 16:46:48 -0500

> and related info once the release is done.

What is the reasoning for this? IMHO for future releases it would be a
better idea to make the beta documentation a part of the main website's
list of documentation at about the same time the first beta is released.
That would make the documentation easier to find and would also
encourage more people to use the beta.

-Neil

---

From: Michael Glaesemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:03:48 +0900

> encourage more people to use the beta.

I agree with your points. One reservation I have is that people might  
be more likely to run a beta in a production environment. Nowadays it  
seems increasingly common for projects to release betas for  
widespread circulation. I don't know if this is something that should  
be encouraged for PostgreSQL. I'd hate to see people get a bad  
impression of PostgreSQL because a beta screws up their data. Putting  
it on the top page might lend it more credibility and lead people to  
trust it in environments they shouldn't--even though PostgreSQL  
hackers are very clear that beta should not be used in production.

I'd guess these things are better discussed on -advocacy.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

---

From: Neil Conway <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 15:43:13 -0500

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 11:03 +0900, Michael Glaesemann wrote:
> impression of PostgreSQL because a beta screws up their data.

IMHO it is fairly clearly a good thing to get more publicity for
Postgres betas. That is the whole point of the beta program in the first
place: I don't see that putting more beta information on the main
website is fundamentally different from sending email announcing betas
to -announce, for example. Provided that the caveats are clear, I think
there's a lot to be gained by publicizing betas more effectively.

-Neil

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:50:42 -0400 (AST)

> there's a lot to be gained by publicizing betas more effectively.

As long as it is appropriate tagged as being beta (and clearly), I tend to 
agree ... the more ppl we can encourage to test/pound a beta, the better 
the end release is ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664