Subject: No checksums please

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 18:55:37 -0000

Could we please turn off all the checksum stuff for the mailing lists?
It's causing every legitimate message to produce two or more entries
in the moderation queue: if I see one that is marked as a checksum,
I am simply discarding it. This may be causing legitimate messages
to get discarded, but other than becoming a human checksummer and
verifying the content of every message in the queue versus what's
been approved, I don't see a way around it other than disabling the
checksum altogether, or having it bounce to the sender.

Thanks,
- --
Greg Sabino Mullane [email-masked]
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200702011351
http://biglumber.com/x/web?pk=2529DF6AB8F79407E94445B4BC9B906714964AC8

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 14:44:44 -0500

> Could we please turn off all the checksum stuff for the mailing lists?

Are you talking about disabling the detection of duplicate messages?
That seems like a seriously bad idea.  I personally see a number of my
own messages regurgitated every so often by various people's broken
Microsloth-hatched excuses for MTAs, and I would not like to see those
dups dumped into the mailing list again (for one thing, it only takes
a small amount more MTA breakage to turn that into a self-feeding flood).

			regards, tom lane

---

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 22:13:08 -0000

> That seems like a seriously bad idea.

Well, perhaps not turn off, but at least bounce back to the sender, not
the moderation queue. I believe that is the way it used to be, which
makes a lot more sense to me.

- --
Greg Sabino Mullane [email-masked]
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200702011708
http://biglumber.com/x/web?pk=2529DF6AB8F79407E94445B4BC9B906714964AC8

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 00:39:10 +0100

> a small amount more MTA breakage to turn that into a self-feeding flood).

I don't know if there is a difference between "duplicate detection" and
"partial duplicate detection". AFAIK, only the "partial duplicate
detection" has caused problems. But just ignore that ocmment if they are
the same thing.

//Magnus

---

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 16:49:28 -0000

> detection" has caused problems. But just ignore that ocmment if they are

Most of the moderated posts in the queue (e.g. -announce) seem to have
all three types of checksums:

Duplicate Message-ID
Duplicate Message Checksum
Duplicate Partial Message Checksum

It's fairly frustrating - for example, the recent post from Pavel Golub
was approved by me this morning, and a few minutes later there were
five separate messages in the queue with this message and all three
duplicate warnings on each of them. I've left them in there in case
others want to take a look.

- --
Greg Sabino Mullane [email-masked]
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200702061142
http://biglumber.com/x/web?pk=2529DF6AB8F79407E94445B4BC9B906714964AC8

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 18:14:05 -0400

- --On Tuesday, February 06, 2007 16:49:28 +0000 Greg Sabino Mullane 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: RIPEMD160
>
>

I put a check on Duplicate Message-ID in place, but left the checksum stuff 
turned off ... that should reduce the duplicates in the queue, but still allow 
stuff like the posts to slave-to-the-web through ...

- ----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email . [email-masked]                              MSN . [email-masked]
Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664