Subject: Techdocs v2

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:24:50 +0100

Hi Guys,

Is anyone working on v2 of techdocs? The last 'new' version I saw was
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/v2 which looks promising, if a little
stagnant at the moment (not surprising given the lack of advertising
it's had).

Any thoughts how we could move things forward?

Regards, Dave.

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Jun 2004 08:53:42 -0400

> Any thoughts how we could move things forward?

IIRC that is the wiki site that Justin started but later abandoned due
to software issues and then "retirement", so no one is working on that
v2.  Josh was leading some folks on a bricolage version of the site but
I believe that sputtered out due to lack of time to actually get
everything working under bric. I've currently got things in CVS in an
effort to keep things up and running, though haven't put any major
effort into new development whilst waiting for www-v3 to be finished up.
 
I have been investigating some wikis myself for a new version of
techdocs, and I think I could settle on twiki, or at least if Marc wants
to install it (it should be in ports) I'd be willing to put some content
up. 

My other leaning is toward mediawiki, though it is my$ql based so
probably not the best option. I've recently started kicking around the
code, and if anyone is interested in porting it to postgresql please
lmk, but from a realistic time sense twiki seems like my personal pick  

Robert Treat
-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:22:08 +0100

From: Robert Treat
Sent: Thu 6/3/2004 1:53 PM
To: Dave Page
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Techdocs v2

No problem - it's installed now.

Regards, Dave.

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 16:44:01 -0700

Dave, Robert:

> v2.  

V2 was based on Zope/Plone, which we discovered to have abysmal performance on 
the postgresql.org BSD VM.   Certainly it wouldn't be able to sustain the 
thousands of people a day that buzz through Techdocs (or used to, anyway).

>Josh was leading some folks on a bricolage version of the site but
> everything working under bric. 

Yeah.  The holdup is the templating, which requires a knowledge of Mason.   
Unforntunately, I've been unable to locate anyone who knows Mason and has any 
free time at all.

> to install it (it should be in ports) I'd be willing to put some content

A wiki would be fine in general.  I like what we have up for "guides".   

One request, though:  I'd like it to be possible to flag some pages as 
"modifiable only by owner".   The issue is that sometimes I will want to put 
content on Techdocs that has special copyright restrictions (such as magazine 
article reprints).   This would mean preventing most users from modifying 
that page.   I know that others have similar content up.

That's the main issue that prevented me from being gung-ho about a wiki for 
techdocs earlier.

-- 
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco