Subject: a few webby things

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:30:29 -0400

Web maintainers,

I don't usually get into website stuff, and don't read the list, but 
here are a couple questions/suggestions and one plea for help.

1. I was recently given the honor of being made a committer (somewhat to 
my surprise). It occurred to me then that I didn't know who all the 
committers were. So I went to the web site but didn't see the info 
anywhere. Maybe a separate section on the developers page, or a little 
icon to distinguish them, would be a good thing. This isn't because I 
want to blow my own horn but because others might have the same question 
I did.

2. Has anyone ever tried to produce a version of the docs with a 
navigation sidebar? I often use the web site docs but I would like 
something like the Table of Contents as a sidebar (maybe in it own 
frame) that would help navigate without having to go to the top all the 
time. That would be a great advance. I'm suggesting it as an additional 
option, not to replace the existing docs setup.

3. As you probably know, I run the postgresql buildfarm. Not too long 
ago we added to our dashboard page some little icons that show configure 
flags that were used on the build: see 
http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl . Ive looked at using 
text instead of these icons, but the results weren't very pleasing. 
Michael Glaesmann, who devised our theme, tried making some little text 
bearing icons, but I didn't like those much either. However, the icons 
we have aren't very good either; they jar visually, and I'd like 
something better. They need to be tiny - ideally 16x16. Any help would 
be appreciated.

(make sure I'm cc'd on replies, please)

cheers

andrew

---

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 22:45:06 +0200

> Web maintainers,
> 
> I don't usually get into website stuff, and don't read the 
> list, but here are a couple questions/suggestions and one 
> plea for help.
> 
> 1. I was recently given the honor of being made a committer 
> (somewhat to my surprise). It occurred to me then that I 
> didn't know who all the committers were. So I went to the web 
> site but didn't see the info anywhere. Maybe a separate 
> section on the developers page, or a little icon to 
> distinguish them, would be a good thing. This isn't because I 
> want to blow my own horn but because others might have the 
> same question I did.

This sounds like a good idea. I don't know who they are either :-)
(apart from the usual suspects, of course) If someone can cook up the
complete list, adding it to the page should be trivial.

> 2. Has anyone ever tried to produce a version of the docs 
> with a navigation sidebar? I often use the web site docs but 
> I would like something like the Table of Contents as a 
> sidebar (maybe in it own
> frame) that would help navigate without having to go to the 
> top all the time. That would be a great advance. I'm 
> suggesting it as an additional option, not to replace the 
> existing docs setup.

This also sounds like a good idea. I dunno if it has been tried though -
if not, it sounds like it could be worth one. Dave, you did the docs
stuff, right? Ever tried this?

[snip the image stuff, really can't help you there]

//Magnus

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:37:52 +0100

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Magnus Hagander
> Sent: 18 September 2005 21:45
> To: Andrew Dunstan; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] a few webby things
> 

All I did was db-ise it. I haven't got the foggiest how to put a toc
down the side, except perhaps by making use of the 'make htmlhelp' build
target to build a file to include. The downside is that it's pretty
large (207Kb for beta2), and a pita to build as Andrew knows (out of
about 10 machines we tried on, his was the only non-64bit one that it
successfully built on on Friday night).

Regards, Dave.