Subject: techdocs beta testing

From: "Guido Barosio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 02:31:54 +0100

A quick run over the new techdocs site shows:

<404 errors>

 * http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.3

	"A Visual Basic utility to convert Dbase III, IV, and V" ->
http://www.postgresql.org/source/migration.zip

 * http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.26

	The reference to the "authors website" is wrong (404)

 * http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.3

	While calling the following links:

	-"Porting Horror Story" ->
http://www.frankhilliard.com/horrorstory.cfm  the connection timed out
with no success at all.
	-"PostgreSQL and Microsoft Access" -> http://www.scw.org/pgaccess/ which  (404)

<Weird behaviours>

 * http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.3

	- Directory listing instead of documentation, tho it's not clear or
maybe needs a review:

	Conversion tool for migrating from MySQL to PostgreSQL by PostgreSQL Inc.

	- Oracle Section

	While calling: orapgsqlviews project at gborg
(http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/orapgsqlviews/projdisplay.php)
there gborg site
	reports that something went wrong, no project was specified  or an
invalid project was specified.

<Missing tags or work to be done>

- <a name> tags missing in:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.25

Tried to correct this, but the html editor complains when
I hit the save button.

the idea is to add the ....

<a name=one>
<a name=two>
<a name=three>
<a name=four>

.... tags to the objects therefore named in the content.

<add ons>

- added wikipedia as a technical reference in:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.2

Wikipedia related article: Related articles, comunity managed.
(or alike, just an idea)

(But couldn't check the preview, why?)

< ambiguous  >

The techdocs.33 page seems to just a mid step between the original link in the
techdocs.4 page, and is just presenting a link to a pdf file, while in
other cases, we directly call the pdf files, tho.

< about >

I will walk again through the site, and try to spot other issues.
A formal QA document will be posted then to this list.

Would be great to understand why after saving some modifications I
wasn't allowed to get the preview. Prolly just late and my brain
working less than usual.

Regards,
Guido

--
Guido Barosio
-----------------------
http://www.globant.com
[email-masked]

---

From: "Guido Barosio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 02:37:16 +0100

note that I would take out those broken links from the docs, but the
save && preview method didn't work, or got me confused, so I will wait
to understand how it works (or if Robert's mail bout diff is related
with this).

Rgds.
G.-

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:20:27 -0400

> http://www.postgresql.org/source/migration.zip

must have missed this one, but downloaded it fom techdocs, uploaded to www, 
and updated link

> 	The reference to the "authors website" is wrong (404)

I've sent an email to the author; if anyone can find the missing link we could 
update it. (i didnt check google cache or the internet archive, could start 
there)

> http://www.frankhilliard.com/horrorstory.cfm  the connection timed out

works for me, maybe a temporary problem?

> 	-"PostgreSQL and Microsoft Access" -> http://www.scw.org/pgaccess/ which 

I managed to find a version of this in the google cache. I've added it to the 
site and updated the link apropriatly. 
> 	- Directory listing instead of documentation, tho it's not clear or

either i dont understand where your looking or it works for me. (this page has 
been updated a few times, so maybe that fixed it?)

> invalid project was specified.

the only thing i can find is an old announcement from chris browne back when 
he worked for great bridge.  seems a little mysterious as i am sure that 
project used to be there. I've dropped Chris an email about it. 

> .... tags to the objects therefore named in the content.

Magnus, you initiall left out the name attribute for anchor tags, do you have 
any objections to allowing them?

> (But couldn't check the preview, why?)

did you save the change before trying to preview it?  did you get an error?

> < ambiguous  >
>
> The techdocs.33 page seems to just a mid step between the original link in
> the techdocs.4 page, and is just presenting a link to a pdf file, while in

I think I followed the pattern of the intermediate page linking to the file in 
every case except the oscon slides/presentations page.  we probably should 
decide if that's our precedent or not. 

> wasn't allowed to get the preview. Prolly just late and my brain

The only thing that comes to mind is not saving the page before trying to 
preview it.  I am wondering if we ought to not have the preview button if the 
page hasnt been saved, since it is a little confusing. 

Another issue is I have seen a couple of people try to modify links to point 
to /community/techdocs.2112 or whatever instead of /docs/techdocs.2112  Is 
there something leading people to think the former is the proper link rather 
than the latter? 

Also a bug that I think exists is that after accepting Guido's changes to 
http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.3 his name is not in the 
history, but mine is instead.  His name did show up in the admin interface 
though, to which i clicked edit and then made a few changes before accepting. 
istm his name should be in the history, but it isnt. 

thanks so much for the feedback so far!
-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL