Subject: Bug list for Techdocs

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 22:39:51 -0700

Guys,

Well, I've given Magnus a hard time over the last couple of days due to bugs 
in the new techdocs.  I think I have a list of what all of the actual bugs 
are.  They are currently work-aroundable but painful.

I tested the below in Firefox 1.0.4, 1.0.7 and 1.5.2, on Mac and Linux.  In 
Konqueror, the WYSWYG editor does not appear, but the other issues are the 
same.  So it's not browser-specific.

1) Styles missing from Techdocs CSS, or somewhere:
	<b> (or <strong>)
	<p align="center">
   These are supported by the WYSWYG editor, but techdocs rejects them as 
invalid styles and won't save the page.

2) Styles missing from the WYSWYG editor but *not* from CSS/wherever
	<h1> <h2> <h3>
    That is, these can be done in HTML mode and do not get rejected, but 
cannot be selected in the WYSWYG editor.

3) Styles missing from both places:
	<dl>  
	<code>
    These can be neither done through the WYSWYG editor nor will be accepted 
in HTML mode.  Both are used frequently for HOWTO articles.

4) After the page is saved, wwwmaster shows "invalid page" until the page is 
approved.  This means that the user cannot go back to the page and re-edit if 
their session is interrupted; it *has* to be approved before anyone can 
examine it meaningfully.  This is a real issue for docs we want to go up at a 
specific date.

5) The approval interface does not show a readable preview of the page.  How 
do we know what we're approving?  If I'm approving my own stuff, that's not 
an issue, but someone else's edits?

6) There is no way to re-assign "parent" pages.   This is a problem if you 
create pages out of order; you can't clean them up.

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:48:11 +0200

>    These are supported by the WYSWYG editor, but techdocs 
> rejects them as invalid styles and won't save the page.

These are both fixed.

>     That is, these can be done in HTML mode and do not get 
> rejected, but cannot be selected in the WYSWYG editor.

Fixed.

>     These can be neither done through the WYSWYG editor nor 
> will be accepted in HTML mode.  Both are used frequently for 
> HOWTO articles.

Hmm. This is enabled in the editor, but doesn't show up for some reason.
Will require further investigation :-(

> 4) After the page is saved, wwwmaster shows "invalid page" 
> until the page is approved.  This means that the user cannot 
> go back to the page and re-edit if their session is 
> interrupted; it *has* to be approved before anyone can 
> examine it meaningfully.  This is a real issue for docs we 
> want to go up at a specific date.

I was planning to stick this on the "profile" page - a list of all
checked out pages. Seems I never got around to it :-( 
Does this seem like a reasonable thing to do?

(We can't stick them in their permanent place, since they might conflict
then)

> 5) The approval interface does not show a readable preview of 
> the page.  How do we know what we're approving?  If I'm 
> approving my own stuff, that's not an issue, but someone else's edits?

Uh, what about the preview button?
(The main reason it's not in there by default is so you can check the
code for possible XSS before you load it in your browser)

> create pages out of order; you can't clean them up.

Yup, this would probably not be a bad thing to have. Is it ok to have it
just in the admin intface? It's going be a *pain* if we have to put
actual versioning on it,. and I'd like to keep the "public interface"
fully versioned.

//Magnus