Subject: Wiki.postgresql.org

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:51:05 +0100

Marc,

Please either remove entirely or prevent people from registering without
approval on wiki.postgresql.org. It's already being used for precisely
what we didn't want it to be used for - ie. A documentation and user
oriented site (for which we have the main site and new techdocs), and
not once has it yet been used as the developer collaboration resource it
was intended as.

Having a user wiki will just cause confusion and harks back to the days
where we had a bunch of different, vaguely related sites. In this case
the confusion is with techdocs, which although user contributed is
moderated for appropriateness and accuracy of content. A user wiki may
easily contain documents that are just plain wrong yet as an 'official'
postgresql.org site, users are likely to take them as official guidance.
The number of sincerely intended, but plain wrong doc comments we've
moderated in the past is evidence of this.

Regards, Dave.

---

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:38:56 +0200

> Marc,
> 
> Please either remove entirely or prevent people from registering
> without approval on wiki.postgresql.org. It's already being used
> for precisely what we didn't want it to be used for - ie. A
> documentation and user oriented site (for which we have the main
> site and new techdocs), and not once has it yet been used as the
> developer collaboration resource it was intended as.

Agreed. Also, wasn't it supposed to be at "developer.postgresql.org" not
"wiki.postgresql.org"? The URL also clearly signaling that it's a
developer wiki and not an end-user one, so people don't make that
mistake...

//Magnus

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:12:03 +0200

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Agreed. Also, wasn't it supposed to be at "developer.postgresql.org"
> not "wiki.postgresql.org"?

That was the plan.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/