Subject: Wiki?

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:09:20 +0200

Could I convince someone to set up a Wiki?  I don't mean to replace any 
of the existing services, but once in a while I just have the urge to 
use one.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:54:17 -0700

Peter,

> of the existing services, but once in a while I just have the urge to

here:
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides

Although we really need something better than zwiki 0.5 for the long 
haul ...

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---

From: "Gavin M. Roy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:23:44 -0700

Mediawiki (what wikipedia uses) seems pretty nice.  I could give a  
stab at setting it up.  Do we need another place to run it, or can it  
run on borg?

Gavin

On Sep 6, 2005, at 10:54 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> ---------------------------(end of  
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 4: Have you searched our list archives?
>
>                http://archives.postgresql.org
>

Gavin M. Roy
800 Pound Gorilla
[email-masked]

---

From: "Gavin M. Roy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:57:08 -0700

Err, didn't realize it was *cough*MySQL only.  :-\

On Sep 6, 2005, at 11:23 AM, Gavin M. Roy wrote:

> stab at setting it up.  Do we need another place to run it, or can  
> it run on borg?
>
> Gavin
>
> TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>       subscribe-nomail command to [email-masked] so that  
> your
>       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly
>

Gavin M. Roy
800 Pound Gorilla
[email-masked]

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 15:33:41 -0700

Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> Mediawiki (what wikipedia uses) seems pretty nice.  I could give a  stab 
> at setting it up.  Do we need another place to run it, or can it  run on 
> borg?

Not to be a fly in the ointment but:

Why oh why yet another content infrastructure? Can't we get techdocs 
fixed/updated/removed something... before we put resources into yet
more infrastructure?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>> ---------------------------(end of  broadcast)---------------------------
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>       subscribe-nomail command to [email-masked] so that your

-- 
Your PostgreSQL solutions company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Programming, 24x7 support
Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
Co-Authors: plPHP, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 18:08:58 -0700

Josh,

> fixed/updated/removed something... before we put resources into yet

Well, my personal $0.02 for Techdocs was to simply put up a 
PostgreSQL-based Wiki which supports authenticated users.  However, some 
folks had more sophisticated ideas.

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 18:21:16 -0700

>folks had more sophisticated ideas.
Wasn't someone working on a new techdocs? What ever happen to that? I 
mean I have a perfectly
good FreeBSD machine here doing nothing, that is more than capable of 
handling something like
Bricolage with mod_perl while waiting to be the backup pgfoundry machine.

I could also put it on my lovely dual opteron where pgbuildfarm sits (if 
someone prefers Linux).
We could the CpCMS if  people want, however it is not OSS (I would of 
course donate a license
so long term support would never be an issue).

I would suggest Framewerk but it appears to have silently died or at 
least the old website is gone...

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

---

From: "Gavin M. Roy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 18:24:51 -0700

Framewerk is nearing Beta.  I'm unveiling a new website, design, and  
documentation.  I'd love to set techdocs up with it as soon as it's  
ready, but don't want to push another CVS version based site out.   
Would rather wait another week or two and set things up right.  I did  
originally offer to do techdocs on Framewerk, and someone else more  
recently came along and wanted to do something different, MSDN like  
if I remember correctly.

Anyway, if you guys want to wait a couple weeks, I'll do up a proper  
techdocs with users, cms, cmsWiki (where users can offer revisions  
into the CMS but they don't go live without approval), and wiki ability.

Gavin

On Sep 6, 2005, at 6:21 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> PostgreSQL-based Wiki which supports authenticated users.   
>> However, some folks had more sophisticated ideas.
>>
>>
>>
> Wasn't someone working on a new techdocs? What ever happen to that?  
> I mean I have a perfectly
> good FreeBSD machine here doing nothing, that is more than capable  
> of handling something like
> I could also put it on my lovely dual opteron where pgbuildfarm  
> sits (if someone prefers Linux).
> We could the CpCMS if  people want, however it is not OSS (I would  
> of course donate a license
> I would suggest Framewerk but it appears to have silently died or  
> at least the old website is gone...
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Gavin M. Roy
800 Pound Gorilla
[email-masked]

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 23:32:48 -0300 (ADT)

Suggestions on a particular package you would like to see put up?  I have 
no experience with any, but am willing to get anything you'd like to try 
put online ...

> of the existing services, but once in a while I just have the urge to

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 20:20:23 +0200

> fixed/updated/removed something... before we put resources into yet

What imagine doing with a Wiki has nothing to do with what techdocs 
does.  In particular, I occasionally would like to use a Wiki as a 
notepad for tracking development issues.  Just to pick a random 
example, this could be used to gather notes on SQL feature conformance.  
It could also be used for the regular must-fix-before-release list.