Subject: git repo "https://" working but "git://" is not

From: Jeff Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2025 12:38:37 -0700

It appears that something is going on with git.postgresql.org. Remotes
with "https://" are working but not "git://".

Regards,
	Jeff Davis

---

From: Masahiko Sawada <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2025 09:47:50 -0700

> with "https://" are working but not "git://".

Same here. I've been using "git://" too but I switched to "https://".

Regards,

-- 
Masahiko Sawada
Amazon Web Services: https://aws.amazon.com

---

From: Álvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2025 19:51:46 +0200

> Same here. I've been using "git://" too but I switched to "https://".

git:// was taken down recently because of a system upgrade.  It's not
clear that we'll put it back in operation ... at least as I understand,
that protocol is pretty much obsolete, as it's unencrypted and
unauthenticated.

As Masahiko-san said, you can simply update the remotes to use https://,
with something like
  git remote set-url origin https://...

and everything should work again.

Please don't consider this a formal announcement of removal, though :-)
That may still follow, pending further analysis.

-- 
Álvaro Herrera         PostgreSQL Developer  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"I can see support will not be a problem.  10 out of 10."    (Simon Wittber)
      (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2004-12/msg00159.php)

---

From: Jeff Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2025 11:59:18 -0700

> That may still follow, pending further analysis.

I'd suggest some kind of announcement. It's easy to fix, but I was
briefly confused about why it wasn't working. And I could imagine that
there are a few automated build / test scripts floating around that
need updating.

If we previously made a deprecation announcement, then perhaps its not
necessary.

Regards,
	Jeff Davis