Subject: Move the developers wiki?

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:16:33 +0000

Hackers,

As you may have noticed
(http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-03/msg00470.php) we
now have a wiki at wiki.postgresql.org that is replacing techdocs
which unfortunately never worked quite as we had hoped in it's current
form.

It has been suggested by members of the web team that as the new site
has been setup on a dedicated VM and has been properly integrated with
the rest of our online infrastructure (unlike the current developer
wiki which is basically a quick 'n' dirty install on an already
over-utilised VM), that we should consider moving the developer wiki
into a dedicated area on it.

Any thoughts on whether thats a good or bad idea? Any objections?

-- 
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL UK 2008 Conference: http://www.postgresql.org.uk

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:25:53 -0700

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:16:33 +0000

> Any thoughts on whether thats a good or bad idea? Any objections?

Not an objection but an observation. The developer wiki seems to be a
catchall for contributors to put various stuff on. There is patch
status, advocacy policies, release policies etc...

Based on your description of wiki.postgresql.org it is supposed to be
a replacement for techdocs.

To me, they have different purposes.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake 

- -- 
The PostgreSQL Company since 1997: http://www.commandprompt.com/ 
PostgreSQL Community Conference: http://www.postgresqlconference.org/
Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
      PostgreSQL political pundit | Mocker of Dolphins

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 18:43:47 +0100

> To me, they have different purposes.

Well, we could just add a link to a subsection that does those things, no?

//Magnus

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:48:17 -0300

> status, advocacy policies, release policies etc...

The developer's wiki was the developer's wiki until other people noticed
that they had no wiki so they started using the developer's wiki as a
catchall place ("hey, we advocates have nowhere to wiki on; can we use
devel's wiki?").  Now that we have a real wiki it makes sense to create
separate areas on it for each team.

That said, we have links to the developer wiki all over the web.

So +1 on moving the developer's wiki to the other one -- but only if the
original URLs continue to work (redirecting to the new site).

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:49:03 -0700

Dave,

> Any thoughts on whether thats a good or bad idea? Any objections?

Well, other than not breaking developer.postgresql.org links, sounds fine 
to me.

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:00:18 -0700

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 18:43:47 +0100
Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Based on your description of wiki.postgresql.org it is supposed to
> > be a replacement for techdocs.
> > 

Like I said just observation. I like things compartmentalized but there
is also certainly an argument for redundant resources etc...

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:08:26 -0300

> is also certainly an argument for redundant resources etc...

Are you saying that you want to keep postgresqldocs.org around?

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:10:36 -0700

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:08:26 -0300
Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> 
> > Like I said just observation. I like things compartmentalized but
> > there is also certainly an argument for redundant resources etc...
> 

That actually isn't my decision.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --

---

From: Greg Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:17:06 -0400 (EDT)

> original URLs continue to work (redirecting to the new site).

While the default URL formatting on the new wiki is different, it still 
supports the same one used on the developer's wiki.  You can hit the front 
page with http://wiki.postgresql.org/index.php/Main_Page same way the URL 
for the front of the developer's wiki is 
http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Main_Page

If all the pages get moved over with the same names (which doesn't seem 
like it would be a problem), just changing developer.postgresql.org to 
point to wiki.postgresql would seem to be sufficient to keep any existing 
links working.

--
* Greg Smith [email-masked] http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

---

From: Greg Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:24:04 -0400 (EDT)

> Are you saying that you want to keep postgresqldocs.org around?

One thing at a time.  The new PG wiki looks great, seems like the next 
task is to consider merging the developer's content into there.  I was 
hoping to propose a plan for merging work done on postgresqldocs.org into 
the new infrastructure in a couple of days, after things settle down a 
bit.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:51:06 -0400

> point to wiki.postgresql would seem to be sufficient to keep any existing 

That's not exactly what I'd call "keeping existing links working".

			regards, tom lane

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:54:50 -0700

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:51:06 -0400
Tom Lane <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > If all the pages get moved over with the same names (which doesn't
> > seem like it would be a problem), just changing
> > developer.postgresql.org to point to wiki.postgresql would seem to
> > be sufficient to keep any existing links working.
> 

It is if we point developer. to wiki. 

Joshua D. Drake

- --

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:01:33 +0100

> now have a wiki at wiki.postgresql.org that is replacing techdocs

Victory! :)

> into a dedicated area on it.

Yes, please.  One wiki should be enough.  A bit of accidental crossover 
between users, developers, and other groups could even be of advantage.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:09:20 -0400

> It is if we point developer. to wiki. 

Will that break anything else (ie, is that webserver serving anything
but the wiki)?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:20:01 +0000

> Will that break anything else (ie, is that webserver serving anything

No, thats one of the reasons why I'd like to move developer - this one
is not just on a dedicated apache instance, but a dedicated VM.

I don't see any reason why what Greg & Josh are suggesting couldn't
work - it's roughly what I had in mind anyway, except that we'd have
to use a URL rewrite on developer to get it to redirect requests to
wiki, as that hostname is used for other things so hijacking DNS
doesn't sound sensible.