Subject: PostgreSQL user documentation wiki open for business

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:53:57 +0000

I'm pleased to announce that wiki.postgresql.org is now open for business!

The PostgreSQL Wiki replaces the technical documentation area
("techdocs") on the PostgreSQL website and provides an easy-to-use
area for PostgreSQL users and developers to read and document
experiences with any area of PostgreSQL such as migration issues,
integration with other applications or networks, tips and tricks, or
useful HOWTOs. All documentation from the old site has been migrated
to the wiki.

The wiki can be accessed at

     http://wiki.postgresql.org/

To add or edit pages you will need a PostgreSQL Community logon. If
you do not already have an account, you can register one at

     http://www.postgresql.org/community/signup

-- 
Dave Page
PostgreSQL Core Team
PostgreSQL UK 2008 Conference: http://www.postgresql.org.uk

---

From: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 18:11:50 +0100

Hello all,

> I'm pleased to announce that wiki.postgresql.org is now open for business!

Oh, very good!

>      http://wiki.postgresql.org/

Is it ok to have a category like "external resources"? Links to other
websites?

One link comes into my mind: there is a well-used german PG forum which
is managed by a guy who is not active in the community. The same
applies to the english speaking forum. Just to give two examples.

Kind regards

-- 
				Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group
European PostgreSQL User Group - Board of Directors

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:19:52 +0000

Hi Ads,

>  applies to the english speaking forum. Just to give two examples.

Sure - in fact there are already a bunch of offsite links in the
documents that were moved from techdocs.

I did just discuss using it for different languages with someone else
- I suggested that perhaps we should add a 'language specific' set of
links on the front page (which can only be edited by sysops). Would
that work for you? Then you could add any German documents or
resources as you saw fit.

-- 
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL UK 2008 Conference: http://www.postgresql.org.uk

---

From: "Jonah H. Harris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:33:49 -0400

> I'm pleased to announce that wiki.postgresql.org is now open for business!

Awesome!

-- 
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation | fax: 732.331.1301
499 Thornall Street, 2nd Floor | [email-masked]
Edison, NJ 08837 | http://www.enterprisedb.com/

---

From: "Pavel Stehule" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:45:47 +0100

Hello

I am translating tips from czech language, that I would copy to wiki.
Please, I invite any help with language fix - my translation is really
basic.

current work is on: http://www.pgsql.cz/index.php/PostgreSQL_SQL_Tricks

Thank you

Pavel Stehule

On 12/03/2008, Dave Page <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Pavel Stehule <[email-masked]> wrote:
>  > Hello Dave,
>  >
>  > I have some tips and tricks/ so I can copy this tips for start. I
>  > translated it, but it's need language correction. I am not native
>  > speaker.
>  >
>  >  http://www.pgsql.cz/index.php/PostgreSQL_SQL_Tricks
>
>  Hi Pavel,
>
>  Please feel free to add them, and if you like, add a note at the top
>  asking people to fix any errors they may find in the translation. The
>  beauty of a wiki is that anyone who is passing by can help improve
>  things :-)
>
>  Unfortunately I only really have time to work on the infrastructure,
>  Windows issues and pgAdmin.
>
>
>
>  --
>  Dave Page

---

From: Guillaume Lelarge <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 21:13:21 +0100

> resources as you saw fit.

And french ones, that would be great :)

-- 
Guillaume.
  http://www.postgresqlfr.org
  http://dalibo.com

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:24:08 +0000

>  And french ones, that would be great :)

OK, please let me know when you (anyone) wants to start work on a
language specific area and I'll add an appropriate link to the front
page. I won't do it until you're ready to start though.

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:35:18 +0100

> resources as you saw fit.

The Debian wiki (http://wiki.debian.org) has a reasonably-working language 
support.  Maybe get some inspiration there.

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 21:51:48 +0000

>  support.  Maybe get some inspiration there.

Yeah, my multi-language skills are poor, but from what I can gather
they're doing a mix of 'same page in different languages' and some
stuff only in a single language. I don't believe we have anything like
the resources to do the former effectively, but I see no reason not to
add some language specific areas.

---

From: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:01:13 +0100

> page. I won't do it until you're ready to start though.

Go for it, i will take a look into the german section.
It seems, the france section also got support;-)

Kind regards

---

From: "Gevik Babakhani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:01:37 +0100

>      http://wiki.postgresql.org/

Thank you everyone for all the hard work to make this possible.

Regards,
Gevik

---

From: Guillaume Lelarge <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:07:00 +0100

> It seems, the france section also got support;-)

Yes, I'll take care of the french one. I have a few links to add... just 
need to find if I already have a PostgreSQL Community login. Don't think 
so but I'll check now.

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:22:30 -0300

> add some language specific areas.

FWIW there's a quite a bunch of people interested in translating stuff
but they don't know what to translate :-)  Having translatable wiki
material would rock.

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:00:32 +0000

>  need to find if I already have a PostgreSQL Community login. Don't think

OK, I've added sections for German, French and Spanish.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Main_Page#Alternate_Languages

I'm not convinced 'Alternate' is the correct word as I don't think
these sections will simply contain translations of all the English
docs, so if anyone has any better ideas...

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:05:36 +0000

>  but they don't know what to translate :-)  Having translatable wiki

My gut feeling is that 90% or more of the content (which I believe is
well over 100 pages already) will never be translated, so I think we
should just add sections (as I've done for French, German and Spanish)
and let folks fill them up as they like. If they do translate lots of
the existing stuff, great, if they just add their own docs thats cool
too imho.  My suspicion is though that we'll get far more authors than
translators.

If it seems like I'm wrong once things have got underway, let me know
and we can rethink how we organise things (I believe there is a
translation module for example).

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:57:59 +0100

Am Mittwoch, 12. März 2008 schrieb Dave Page:
> the resources to do the former effectively

Neither do they.  Hence the mixing.