Subject: email is fast!

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 00:46:25 -0500 (EST)

I have noticed the past month that email is very fast.  I hit send and
the mailing list reply just appears in my mailbox!

-- 
  Bruce Momjian   [email-masked]
  EnterpriseDB    http://www.enterprisedb.com

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 09:21:45 +0100

> the mailing list reply just appears in my mailbox!

You are a lucky man then ;-)

Well, yeah, it's much better, and quite often it is that fast. And then
suddenly something happens and you have a 4-6 hour delay on a couple of
mails, while others go through. But the speed-when-things-are-working is
good, yes :-P

//Magnus

---

From: Kevin Hunter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 17:13:53 -0500

> mails, while others go through. But the speed-when-things-are-working is

Being a fairly new lurker to the Postgresql lists, what is the reason 
for the speed delay?  I, too, have a 3-5 hour delay, but I thought it 
was something to do with my end and greylisting.  Now I'm not sure . . . :/

Thanks,

Kevin

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 18:50:06 -0400

- --On Tuesday, February 06, 2007 17:13:53 -0500 Kevin Hunter 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Being a fairly new lurker to the Postgresql lists, what is the reason for the
> speed delay?  I, too, have a 3-5 hour delay, but I thought it was something
> to do with my end and greylisting.  Now I'm not sure . . . :/

alot of the time, its greylisting ... but I'd be interested in seeing a copy of 
the full headers for one that has taken 3-5 hours to make sure ...

- ----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email . [email-masked]                              MSN . [email-masked]
Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 17:28:16 -0800

> was something to do with my end and greylisting.  Now I'm not sure . . . :/

Well greylisting will certainly be part of it. However I whitelist
postgresql and I will regularly see many hour delays.

> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Kevin
> 
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 7: You can help support the PostgreSQL project by donating at
> 
>                http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
> 

-- 

      === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
PostgreSQL Replication: http://www.commandprompt.com/products/

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 18:16:20 -0400

> to do with my end and greylisting.  Now I'm not sure . . . :/

Just to follow up this one ... Kevin sent me an email including the full 
headers for one that took 12 hours to be delivered ... using the QUEUE ID, I 
checked the logs and it turns out that the mail server couldn't resolve the MX 
the first and second time it tried to deliver, but succeeded on the third ...

- ----

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 18:17:17 -0400

> postgresql and I will regularly see many hour delays.

Same applies to you as Kevin .. please send me the full headers of one that 
takes 'many hours' to deliver, and I'll check the logs for that specific one to 
see if I can determine the cause ...

- ----

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 23:21:21 +0100

> the first and second time it tried to deliver, but succeeded on the third ...

This sounds scaringly close to the problem we had on wwwmaster with it
not delivering emails. Resolving separately looked fine, but sendmail
couldn't resolve.
Could it be symptoms of the same problem?

//Magnus

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 19:01:43 -0400

- --On Wednesday, February 07, 2007 23:21:21 +0100 Magnus Hagander 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> Being a fairly new lurker to the Postgresql lists, what is the reason for
>>> the speed delay?  I, too, have a 3-5 hour delay, but I thought it was
>>> something to do with my end and greylisting.  Now I'm not sure . . . :/
>>
>> checked the logs and it turns out that the mail server couldn't resolve the
>> MX  the first and second time it tried to deliver, but succeeded on the
>> third ...
>

Does postfix do any 'caching of results'?  For instance, if it got a failed 
response, would it cache that and re-use that later, pending it timing out in 
its own cache?  So try 1 failed, try 2 used cache and failed, try 3 was after 
cache timed out and re-tried, at which point the local DNS server had the right 
value ...

- ----

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 09:29:46 +0100

> cache timed out and re-tried, at which point the local DNS server had the right 

I don't beleive it does. The resolver library might do it though - some do, others don't.

//Magnus

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:40:18 -0500

> cache timed out and re-tried, at which point the local DNS server had the right 

No, but your local resolver, which probably caches, almost certainly
does.

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan  | [email-masked]
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism. 
                --Brad Holland