Subject: Training provider question: SkillsQuest

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:39:46 -0800

WWW,

We've had a new training provider submit to PostgreSQL Events:
SkillsQuest.  Because some of the wording of their ad seemed fishy, I
checked for their website (to which they do NOT provide a link), and I'm
bothered by the fact that they don't have a training schedule anywhere
on the website.  You have to submit an email form and they will tell you
if they have a training or not.

This smells funny to me.  I'm not sure I should be approving their
training announcements.

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

-- 
Sent via pgsql-www mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-www

---

From: Simon Riggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 00:08:51 +0000

> This smells funny to me.  I'm not sure I should be approving their

While its difficult to make hard rulings on such things, we should be
helping people that explicitly advertise PostgreSQL and not others.

I don't suppose other companies would allow training partners who
don't even list the product on their web site.

-- 
 Simon Riggs                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
 PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 16:23:58 -0800

> don't even list the product on their web site.

In the past when we have had some funny or suspect listings we have 
called the provider.

IMO, we need to just set some written rules about trainings that are 
published and visibly obvious:

1. Must provide direct link to corporate website
2. Must provide direct link to training
3. Must provide contact phone number
4. Must provide direct link to schedule

JD

-- 
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/
PostgreSQL Support, Training, Professional Services and Development
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 10:37:22 -0800

> 4. Must provide direct link to schedule

I like these.  (4) also implies "must publish schedule on web".

Would any of the training providers we trust violate any of the above?

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 11:00:17 -0800

> Would any of the training providers we trust violate any of the above?

That I can't answer, Simon? EDB?

I know if we are going to provide a training we have no problem 
following those.

JD