Subject: Git lag

From: Thom Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 18:47:25 +0000

Hi all,

There was a commit by Tom Lane approximately 30 mins ago, yet I'm
still unable to pull those changes into my local repo.  I'm told it's
up-to-date, but the latest commit was Magnus' pg_hba line number
logging change.

Is this anything to be concerned about?

-- 
Thom

-- 
Sent via pgsql-www mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-www

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 14:51:46 -0400

> up-to-date, but the latest commit was Magnus' pg_hba line number

That's really weird, because that commit did show up on
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git
almost immediately.  I had the idea that gitweb was looking at the
same anonymous-access git repo that non-committers should pull from.
Maybe there's a third repo involved?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 18:54:30 +0000

> Maybe there's a third repo involved?

There's not, but there is some caching that can happen if you're
pulling the repo via http (I forget the exact details). Try using the
git:// URL instead Thom.

-- 
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

---

From: Thom Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 18:54:46 +0000

> Maybe there's a third repo involved?

Actually I'm thinking there must be something wrong with my local
repo, as I have another copy on another server which I just updated
and it's got that latest change without any problems.

I'm definitely on master:

thom@swift ~/Development/postgresql $ git status
# On branch master
nothing to commit (working directory clean)
thom@swift ~/Development/postgresql $ git pull
Already up-to-date.
thom@swift ~/Development/postgresql $ git log | head -n 5
commit 7f49a67f954db3e92fd96963169fb8302959576e
Author: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date:   Sun Mar 10 15:54:37 2013 +0100

    Report pg_hba line number and contents when users fail to log in

--
Thom

---

From: Thom Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 18:56:31 +0000

> pulling the repo via http (I forget the exact details). Try using the

Ah okay, yes, changed my .git/config to use git:// and all is well
again.  Sorry for the noise.

-- 
Thom

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 15:12:24 +0100

> again.  Sorry for the noise.

Not at all - Dave is actually at least partially wrong here, and I'm
pretty sure I broke something. There were stil some issues before with
http pulls, but they have unfortunately been made quite a lot worse :)
I'll look at getting that sorted as soon a I can.

Basically, there used to be an update issue. But now that we do full
caching on the data, the fixes that are in there to work around the
previous issue, don't necessarily work anymore...

-- 
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 16:50:12 +0200

> previous issue, don't necessarily work anymore...

With lots of delay, this should be fixed now. Sorry about that.

Other ways of pulling are still *faster* than http, but there should
be no extra delay in it.