Subject: sort order of messages

From: Dan S <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 19:19:26 +0100

Hi !

Could you please change back the sort order within each month in the
mailing list archives so that the most recent posts comes first ?
Quite often there are many posts and having to browse through all pages to
get to the most actual one becomes a pain when you have a slow internet
connection.

Best Regards
Dan S

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 13:41:11 -0500

> mailing list archives so that the most recent posts comes first ?

Either that, or add an easier way to jump to the end.  Right now you
have to scroll down to the bottom of the first page and then select the
right link to click on (which takes careful aim).  I had been planning
to gripe about that myself.

			regards, tom lane

-- 
Sent via pgsql-www mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-www

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 21:07:36 +0100

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Dan S <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Could you please change back the sort order within each month in the mailing
> list archives so that the most recent posts comes first ?

There was a discussion about this when testing, and the end result was
that *most* people preferred it the new way. Not everybody, but
definitely the majority.

> get to the most actual one becomes a pain when you have a slow internet

No need to do that, just scroll to the bottom of the page and click
the last of the date links. The only case where you have to click more
than once is if there was more than 200 emails on a single list in a
single day, something that's not very common. In fact, it has happened
a total of 5 times in the history of the archives, the latest was in
2011. Which would've required two clicks.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 21:08:40 +0100

> to gripe about that myself.

So are you suggesting a link to "first" and "last" on the page
http://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-hackers/2013-01/ (for example),
as well as the date links? So we'd have First | Prev | Next | Last,
for example?

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:16:56 -0500

> as well as the date links? So we'd have First | Prev | Next | Last,

Well, First/Last would be nice, but if you just add them at the bottom
of the page they will not help all that much --- it's the scroll-down
requirement that I'm mainly whining about.  Could we have at least a
subset of these at the top of the page?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 21:18:56 +0100

> subset of these at the top of the page?

Sure, that shouldn't be too hard. We could repeate the
First|Prev|Next|last, or we could repeat the whole thing including the
month links easy enough.

Perhaps best to do both? They don't take up all that much vertical
space, though of course you'd pay the price of two or three fewer
emails visible "abov the fold"

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:27:00 -0500

> First|Prev|Next|last, or we could repeat the whole thing including the

First|Prev|Next|last would be enough for me, though maybe others have
other opinions.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 21:46:47 +0100

> First|Prev|Next|last would be enough for me, though maybe others have

I've put the Prev/Next and month links there for now.

Figuring out the First and Last links actually requires some more
thinking (surprising as that might sounds..), so I'll do that later.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:56:06 -0500

> I've put the Prev/Next and month links there for now.

Thanks.

> thinking (surprising as that might sounds..), so I'll do that later.

After experimenting a bit, it seems like having the last-day link there
pretty much fixes my usability gripe.  So no hurry to do more, as far as
I'm concerned.

			regards, tom lane