Subject: A new mailing list for PG Day France ?

From: Damien Clochard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 16:08:08 +0100

Hi everyone !

( I'm not sure this is the right place for this request, if not feel 
free to redirect me to the appropriate channel )

The PG Day France is the main French-Speaking PostgreSQL event since 
2008. The conference is  organized by volunteers using a mailing list 
hosted on the postgresql.fr plateform with a mailman2 instance ( 
https://listes.postgresql.fr ). This mailman service is now very old and 
we (the PGFR web administrators) are thinking about shutting down it 
progressively.

My question here is : Do you think that the PG Day France mailing list 
could be hosted on lists.postgresql.org ?

Here's further details :

* PG Day France is a non-profit community event supported by the 
PostgreSQLFr association
* The main language would be French
* The current mailing list is open to anyone
* The current mailing list archive is public
* The trafic is approx. 300 messages / year, mostly from december to 
june
* We currently have 50 subscribers

I guess the name of the list would be [email-masked] or 
[email-masked]

Thanks for your time,

-- 
Damien Clochard
President of the PostgreSQLFr association
Member of PG Day France, and the PGFR web admin team

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 12:25:46 -0500

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 04:08:08PM +0100, Damien Clochard wrote:
> Hi everyone !
> 
> ( I'm not sure this is the right place for this request, if not feel free to
> redirect me to the appropriate channel )
> 
> The PG Day France is the main French-Speaking PostgreSQL event since 2008.
> The conference is  organized by volunteers using a mailing list hosted on
> the postgresql.fr plateform with a mailman2 instance (
> https://listes.postgresql.fr ). This mailman service is now very old and we
> (the PGFR web administrators) are thinking about shutting down it
> progressively.
> 
> My question here is : Do you think that the PG Day France mailing list could
> be hosted on lists.postgresql.org ?

I don't think it makes sense to be creating community mailing lists for
this purpose since there is so much overhead to their creation.  I think
you are better using an email service.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        https://momjian.us
  EDB                                      https://enterprisedb.com

  If only the physical world exists, free will is an illusion.

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 10:21:47 +0100

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021, 18:25 Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]> wrote:

> 2008.

I like you I don't see any particular proven with doing that - the overhead
of creating a new list is very small in the list system.

However, right now that would be a problem with the archives. Our pglister
system fully supports multi domains so we would preferably set up something
like @lists.postgresql.fr there (because I assume you'd be interested in
any other lists that are hosted there as well?) . But our archives don't
support this, and would generate collissions. So unless you'd want to run
your own archives separately from the main ones, that functionality would
have to be added first (which is on the list of things we want already, but
hasn't been done yet)

/Magnus

---

From: Damien Clochard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 16:15:00 +0100

Le 20.11.2021 10:21, Magnus Hagander a écrit :
>>> the postgresql.fr [1] plateform with a mailman2 instance (
>>> be hosted on lists.postgresql.org [2] ?
>> 
> I like you I don't see any particular proven with doing that - the
> overhead of creating a new list is very small in the list system.
> 
> However, right now that would be a problem with the archives. Our
> pglister system fully supports multi domains so we would preferably
> set up something like @lists.postgresql.fr [3] there (because I assume
> you'd be interested in any other lists that are hosted there as well?)
> . But our archives don't support this, and would generate collissions.
> So unless you'd want to run your own archives separately from the main
> ones, that functionality would have to be added first (which is on the
> list of things we want already, but hasn't been done yet)
> 

Bruce, Magnus,

Thanks for your answers.

To be clear, we're not asking for multi-domain support and we are not in 
capacity of hosting our own pglister instance. However we are ok with 
changing the address of the PG Day France mailing list and using the 
postgresql.org domain. Something like [email-masked] or 
[email-masked] would be fine.

We are currently hosting a dozen of mailing lists ( with 5 being really 
active ) but most of them won't be candidate to be hosted on 
postgresql.org for various reasons. Right now the PG Day France mailing 
is the only one we want to migrate. We may ask for a second one later 
(maybe the PGFR association members list...) but that's about it, we're 
not going to flood the pglister system with french lists ;-)

That being said, we're also consedering other options, especially 
migrating to a well-known French open-source mailinglist provider called 
framalistes.org. We thought of asking here first because it would be 
nice to host the PG Day France list here, but if that's not possible, 
that's not a problem at all !

Thanks the time you dedicate to the pg.org infa !

-- 
Damien Clochard