Subject: about yum.postgresql.org

From: Cédric Villemain <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 18:43:04 +0200

Hello,

from time to time I face issue with packages delivered at yum.postgresql.org.
This is expected as it is expected that everything can have issue.

I used to mail directly the main know author, Devrim Gundunz who I would like 
to thank again to make the life easier when working in the RPM world.

However, we tend to use this repos more and more and I don't find a mailling-
list for it. 

I believe it needs at least one for the NEWS (new build, fix, etc...) and for 
bug-report.

Debian stuff got one: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-pkg-debian/

Can we consider http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-pkg-yum/ ? 

I would also like to see the maintenance team of those packages been extended, 
I believe Devrim is alone, which is not 'safe' (what happens if Devrim is in 
holidays *without* internet, ... ok it is *rare*, but still).
Comments ?

-- 
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/
PostgreSQL: Support 24x7 - Développement, Expertise et Formation

---

From: Guillaume Lelarge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 22:49:15 +0200

> Can we consider http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-pkg-yum/ ? 

It would seem fair to have a list for RPM packages as well, as proposed
by Cédric.

-- 
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
http://www.dalibo.com

---

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 00:12:27 +0300

Hi,

<snip>

> I believe it needs at least one for the NEWS (new build, fix, etc...)
> and for  bug-report.

http://svn.pgrpms.org/browser
http://wiki.pgrpms.org/report

You can use the former one to track updates that are in the queue, the
second one for the bug reports and the progress.

I got a set of emails from you and other folks last week, but, per:

http://wiki.pgrpms.org/wiki/PackageUpdatePolicies

I intend to reply them this week.

> Can we consider http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-pkg-yum/ ? 

Good idea, +1.

> I would also like to see the maintenance team of those packages been
> extended,  I believe Devrim is alone, which is not 'safe' (what
> happens if Devrim is in  holidays *without* internet, ... ok it is
> *rare*, but still). 

Well, there are two separate processes in here:

* Updating the spec file : I'm all for adding new people, who have
provided high quality patches so far. However, my experience has not
been that nice -- some people either tried to break packaging policies
of Fedora/Red Hat, some people tried to change the packaging layout
based on their personal/company/customer requirements. IIRC we have
Fetter and Magnus as the alternative committers in here, but I'm too
lazy to check it now. AFAIK, we don't have many Fedora packagers in the
community, except me and Tom (please feel to smack me if I am missing
someone else). Having some community packaging experience is strictly
what I personally am looking for, if I am in charge of adding new people
in here.

* Building packages: This requires extra permissions, extra caution,
extra experience. This process is half-automate, which is intended,
because we need a human *at least* to sign the packages (and check the
build status). This also requires access to a community machine, so that
probably something that our sysadmin team will also need to decide -- 

What if I decide to quit or die? No idea, but I believe the process is
more or less documented somewhere (sysadmins?), so someone can pick up
the packaging.

Regards,
-- 
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Principal Systems Engineer @ EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Danışmanı/Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer
Community: devrim~PostgreSQL.org, devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr
http://www.gunduz.org  Twitter: http://twitter.com/devrimgunduz

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 17:27:38 -0400

> more or less documented somewhere (sysadmins?), so someone can pick up

Hmm, I believe that if you haven't documented it, it's likely not
documented anywhere.

-- 
Álvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

---

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 00:40:38 +0300

> Hmm, I believe that if you haven't documented it, it's likely not

Right, but what I remember was I documented the process when we moved
the builds to the community machine. I may be wrong, though.
-- 
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Principal Systems Engineer @ EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Danışmanı/Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer
Community: devrim~PostgreSQL.org, devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr
http://www.gunduz.org  Twitter: http://twitter.com/devrimgunduz

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 13:06:07 +0200

> the builds to the community machine. I may be wrong, though.

If you did, I think you hid that documentation somewhere locally ;) I
checked the sysadmin docs - it has nothing about RPMs in particular,
and the build machine is only documented in what hardware it has and
where it's hosted.

-- 
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 13:08:38 +0200

>> Can we consider http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-pkg-yum/ ?

+1 as well.

Alvaro, can you make that happen? ;)

> lazy to check it now. AFAIK, we don't have many Fedora packagers in the

If I'm a committer on that, I was certainly unaware of it :) And you
should probably not count me in even if I am - I've never worked with
any of that, so I couldn't go commit anything with confidence
anyway...

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 11:16:28 -0400

> Alvaro, can you make that happen? ;)

Sure.  Who shall be the owner?

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 17:17:10 +0200

> Sure.  Who shall be the owner?

Devrim, I assume.

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 11:31:17 -0400

> > Sure.  Who shall be the owner?

Devrim, if that's OK with you, please let me know what email address to
use.

---

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 21:47:56 +0300

On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 11:31 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Devrim, if that's OK with you, please let me know what email address
> to use.

Ok, devrim @ gunduz . org is fine.

Regards,

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 15:04:29 -0400

> Ok, devrim @ gunduz . org is fine.

Done

---

From: Cédric Villemain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 10:42:33 +0200

> > Ok, devrim @ gunduz . org is fine.

thank you.