Subject: Blogspot links in the Planet policy

From: Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 23:08:12 +0200

I noticed today that the example URLs for blogspot content in the Planet
PostgreSQL policy are actual <a> tagged links (without nofollow), which doesn't
seem right.  I propose to apply the attached.  Since it only change the
rendering of the policy and not the content, that should be uncontroversial I
assume?

--
Daniel Gustafsson		https://vmware.com/

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 17:55:55 -0400

> rendering of the policy and not the content, that should be uncontroversial I

+1

Jonathan

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 10:51:55 +0200

> > rendering of the policy and not the content, that should be

+1.

I think the only other thing to consider would be to drop the blogpost
section completely. Surely this is not a "frequently asked question" about
planet postgresql. It was at one time, but it 's been a very long time
since we saw anything like that. Blogspot is kind of a... thing of the past?

And if we want to keep it it should probably go somewhere else than in the
poblicy. Everything else in the FAQ is about the actual policy, except for
this one which is a technical question about one particular provider.

So a +1 for fixing it, but a +5 for moving it somewhere else or just plain
removing it.

-- 
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/ <http://www.hagander.net/>
 Work: https://www.redpill-linpro.com/ <http://www.redpill-linpro.com/>

---

From: Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 11:10:03 +0200

> On 8 Oct 2021, at 10:51, Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I think the only other thing to consider would be to drop the blogpost section completely. Surely this is not a "frequently asked question" about planet postgresql. It was at one time, but it 's been a very long time since we saw anything like that. Blogspot is kind of a... thing of the past?

There might not be any new ones coming in, but there are still 55 blogspot
hosted blogs in the feed which is more than I expected.

> And if we want to keep it it should probably go somewhere else than in the poblicy. Everything else in the FAQ is about the actual policy, except for this one which is a technical question about one particular provider.
> 
> So a +1 for fixing it, but a +5 for moving it somewhere else or just plain removing it.

Interesting timing going on here; I wrote an email and then went and did the
commits, when pushed and returning to emails I had received this.  At least the
page is fixed while discussing this =)

The only reasonable place to move it to would be the Wiki, and unless we link
to it from somewhere it's unlikely to ever be found again.  If we're not just
removing it, maybe putting on Planet itself would be an option?:

    https://planet.postgresql.org/add.html

Already added blogs don't need the information, it only applies to new ones so
the Add page makes the most sense IMO.

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 11:22:48 +0200

> hosted blogs in the feed which is more than I expected.

More than I expected too. Now you made me look in the db :)

11 of those 55 blogs have posted something in 2021.

However, only 1 was added in 2021. 2 were added in 2020. 1 in 2019 and 1 in
2018. You have to go back to 2013 to find a year with more than 2 new
blogspot urls added :)

> And if we want to keep it it should probably go somewhere else than in
> the poblicy. Everything else in the FAQ is about the actual policy, except
> for this one which is a technical question about one particular provider.
> >

Either the add page or not at all, agreed.  If we want to add it somewhere
I wonder if there are some other platforms that are more used today that
should receive a similar treatment...

---

From: Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 12:43:15 +0200

> On 8 Oct 2021, at 11:22, Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]> wrote:

> 11 of those 55 blogs have posted something in 2021.

Still not too bad for a platform which launched in 1999.

> Either the add page or not at all, agreed.  If we want to add it somewhere I wonder if there are some other platforms that are more used today that should receive a similar treatment...

There is only really a point to add something in case it's commonly
misconfigured, or in some other way a hard-to-get-right thing.  Unless there
are such platforms, let's just remove it.

Since this is in the FAQ, removing it shouldn't affect the policy revision in
itself.

---

From: Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 14:45:31 +0200

> On 8 Oct 2021, at 12:43, Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> .. let's just remove it.

Concretely, the attached is what is proposed.

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 20:33:32 +0200

> Concretely, the attached is what is proposed.

+1 for doing that one.

I think you also need to update the "last updated" date, but otherwise
looks good.

---

From: Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 09:59:07 +0200

> On 11 Oct 2021, at 20:33, Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 2:46 PM Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> > On 8 Oct 2021, at 12:43, Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
> > .. let's just remove it.
> 
> I think you also need to update the "last updated" date, but otherwise looks good.

Hearing no objections, done that way.