Subject: Namespace projects.postgresql.org

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 12:15:34 +0100

Breaking this:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CABUevEzo-wBhipDX%3DoNH1cUhtVLKF7h2VCSJZB2j9FeSs3c1nA%40mail.gmail.com

Into it's own thread so people don't miss it.

Basically, the suggestion is to kill off the projects.postgresql.org
namespace which has been forwarding to pgfoundry for years, given that
pgfoundry is mostly unmaintained and has been for ages.

-- 
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/ <http://www.hagander.net/>
 Work: https://www.redpill-linpro.com/ <http://www.redpill-linpro.com/>

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 12:20:58 +0000

> pgfoundry is mostly unmaintained and has been for ages.

+1

-- 
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

---

From: Stephen Frost <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 11:43:18 -0500

Greetings,

+1

Thanks!

Stephen

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 11:50:35 -0500

On 2/28/19 6:15 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> <http://projects.postgresql.org> namespace which has been forwarding to
> pgfoundry for years, given that pgfoundry is mostly unmaintained and has
> been for ages.

+1

Jonathan

---

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2019 10:02:32 +0100

> pgfoundry is mostly unmaintained and has been for ages.

+1 - actually looking at the horribly outdated stuff that is on
pgfoundry website, that seems like a very good idea.

Is this proposal also for cleaning up the old gborg and pgfoundry data
on our file-mirrors (ie: http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/projects/) or do
we want to keep those?

Stefan

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2019 11:43:38 -0500

> on our file-mirrors (ie: http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/projects/) or do

Are those actually just mirrors, or is it likely that they're now the
only accessible copies of that stuff?  I'd be kind of inclined to keep
such data just for archival reasons.  Doesn't mean it has to be easily
accessible of course, and we should make sure it's presented as historical
rather than current projects.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2019 21:35:36 +0100

> rather than current projects.

They are no longer being actively updated, no. For gborg there definitely
doesn't exist anything else. For pgfoundry I don't know exactly how dead it
is. But the last sync was pulled sometime in 2013.

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 15:50:36 +0100

> is. But the last sync was pulled sometime in 2013.
I have now removed the projects.postgresql.org entry from DNS.

I haven't done anything to the FTP entries, since they are as mentioned
quite possibly the only copy of some of this stuff.

Perhaps we should drop a README file ínto the pub/projects directory
explaining that content in these directories can be expected to be out of
date? It won't help people following deep links into it, but at least it
might do something?

//Magnus

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 11:27:03 -0400

+1

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 18:43:00 +0200

> > date? It won't help people following deep links into it, but at least it

Back from the dead a few months later, this has now been done!