Subject: Re: Some restructuring of the download section

From: "Kevin Grittner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 11:21:17 -0500

Magnus Hagander  wrote:
> Kevin Grittner  wrote:
 
> True. That didn't happen to me because it happens to be right at
> the edge of a page.
 
For me that depends on the page.  With RedHat I have to scroll down
to see it.  With SuSE it slaps me right upside the head by sitting
right in the middle of the page when it comes up.
 
> Maybe make the "Note" part italic, and just leave the rest as
> normal font could work?
 
That might be about right.
 
>> I think we should provide some guidance on the reasons one would
>> want to pick one or the other.
> 
> Such as "This repository will integrate with your normal systems
> and patch management, and provide automatic updates for all
> supported versions of PostgreSQL throughout the support lifetime of
> PostgreSQL.", which is there? ;)
 
Only on the RedHat page.  There is different language, perhaps even
stronger, on the "Other Linux" page.  But the other pages don't have
anything similar, and they probably should.
 
> Any suggestions for a wording that would be better?
 
I'm afraid I don't know enough about the one-click installer and the
various options (GUI and otherwise) on other OS's.  I pretty much
know my way around the Synaptic Package Manager and apt-get on
Ubuntu, and yast and zypper on SuSE.  And, of course, I rarely use
any of those for PostgreSQL because I'm generally building from
source.  The one time I remember choosing the postgresql-8.4 package
in Ubuntu, I had a running server cluster on my workstation in about
30 seconds without doing anything further.
 
>> One other minor point, I don't think we should use initials like
>> PPA without defining them somewhere. How is someone not versed in
>> Linux installer jargon supposed to know what a PPA is and whether
>> they should consider using one?
> 
> Well, I'd rather avoid using "Personal Package Archive", because it
> sounds scary ;) As in it sounds like something that's not
> supported, to those who don't know what it is. (And frankly, I
> think that's a big mistake on Ubuntu's part - that it's still
> Personal Package Archive even if it's stuff that comes from a team,
> for example. But there's nothing *we* can do about that.)
 
Yeah, that's a fair point, but I think that people who would be
scared by that would be even more scared by initials which aren't
defined, would do a web search to find out what it means, and still
get to the  "Personal Package Archive" phrase.  Having had to search
for the phrase might not boost confidence at that point.
 
> But I guess we could add a simple "(Personal Package Archive)"
> after the term the first time, would that satisfy as a definition?
 
I'm not sure what makes the most sense -- it should not be repeated a
lot or stressed, but neither should it be too hard to find if someone
wants to do so.  Is a footnote an option?  Maybe a short note with it
to describe what that really means, so as to boost confidence?
 
-Kevin

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 08:43:27 +0800

> right in the middle of the page when it comes up.

That explains it - I've been looking mianly at the redhat page to view things :)

> That might be about right.

Ok, I've tried that and pushed it.

> anything similar, and they probably should.

Yeah I'll add it to my list to get something like that in.

> 30 seconds without doing anything further.

Yeah, that is one of the many advantages :)

> for the phrase might not boost confidence at that point.

Hmm. True. Ok, I've added it for now in parenthesis.

> to describe what that really means, so as to boost confidence?

Yeah - I tried something like that - hopefully it looks ok?

-- 
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/