Subject: Missing recent email in archives

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:42:54 -0500

Is something wrong with the email archives?  I recevied this email
today:

	Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:41:32 +0000
	From: Chris Lowder <[email-masked]>
	To: [email-masked], Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
	Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
	In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
	Subject: Re: 11.7. Indexes on Expressions

and usually I can search it almost immediately in the PG email archives,
but this returns a not found error:

	https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/[email-masked]

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        https://momjian.us
  EDB                                      https://enterprisedb.com

  If only the physical world exists, free will is an illusion.

---

From: Greg Stark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 10:33:59 -0500

I was about to reply saying I didn't get any such message but it
literally just arrived just now.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 10:38:00 -0500

> but this returns a not found error:

Looks like it was held for moderation ...

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 12:38:41 -0300

> literally just arrived just now.

Ah, so what happened is that Bruce was too quick to request that URL
from the website before the email was approved by the mailing list
moderators, and since it wasn't found the negative response was cached
by the website frontends.  I have just purged it from the cache and now
it seems to work okay.

-- 
Álvaro Herrera              Valdivia, Chile  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Puedes vivir sólo una vez, pero si lo haces bien, una vez es suficiente"

---

From: Greg Stark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 10:41:20 -0500

It looks like it was held up on the mail server named
malur.postgresql.org for ... quite a while. From 9:41 GMT to 15:24 GMT
or nearly 6 hours?

Received: from localhost ([127.0.0.1] helo=malur.postgresql.org) by
malur.postgresql.org with esmtp (Exim 4.92) (envelope-from
<[email-masked]>) id
1myF6Q-0007ii-2K for [email-masked]; Fri, 17 Dec 2021 15:24:58 +0000
Received: from makus.postgresql.org ([2001:4800:3e1:1::229]) by
malur.postgresql.org with esmtps
(TLS1.3:ECDHE_RSA_AES_256_GCM_SHA384:256) (Exim 4.92) (envelope-from
<[email-masked]>) id 1my9kD-0001mu-7e for
[email-masked]; Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:41:41 +0000

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 13:03:01 -0300

> malur.postgresql.org for ... quite a while. From 9:41 GMT to 15:24 GMT

Yeah, malur is the mailing list server.  That would be the wait for a
moderator to approve it.

-- 
Álvaro Herrera           39°49'30"S 73°17'W  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Uno puede defenderse de los ataques; contra los elogios se esta indefenso"

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 11:16:47 -0500

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 10:38:00AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Is something wrong with the email archives?  I received this email
> > today:

OK, thanks.  I figured there must be a reason, but I couldn't figure it
out.

PgLife (https://pglife.momjian.us/) shows the most recent email at the
time _I_ receive it.  Seems PgLife will have a problem when there is a
mismatch between when I receive the email and when it is archived.  If I
received my personal copy and the email list copy, I could trigger only
on the second, but I have nocc set.  Anyway, I think I am okay with this
failing occasionally, now that I know the cause.  Thanks.

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 14:09:06 -0300

> failing occasionally, now that I know the cause.  Thanks.

Maybe for something like pglife, you should only consider emails that
have the 'Archived-At' header set.

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 12:33:10 -0500

> have the 'Archived-At' header set.

Yes, I thought about that, but I am afraid that emails only to me would
not appear in PgLife since I have the I currently _only_ get the
non-archived email, and if I turn off "Don't receive an extra copy of
mails when listed in To or CC fields" then I have to filter them out on
my end, which might be complex.